KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tests not running according to schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: tests not running according to schedule Reply with quote

hello, we seem to be experiencing an issue where the configured tests are not running according to schedule. For example, we have a test which is configured to run at 5:10 each morning, and i have the logging set to use its own private log and log full detail. Here is what is in the log:

Event time Test Status Reply Test method
11/13/2008 9:28:16 AM MailboxDB Mount Status (JCF) Ok 0 External prog
11/14/2008 12:00:23 AM MailboxDB Mount Status (JCF) Ok 0 External prog

We have another test which is set to run every 10 minutes. In the log for that test, it looks like it runs every 10 minutes for a while, then skips a long time, then runs again, rather sporadically:
11/11/2008 6:21:00 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 2093.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/11/2008 6:31:02 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 2099.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/11/2008 6:41:04 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 2095.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 12:00:20 AM cop-server Memory usage Ok 2095.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 12:53:09 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1820.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 1:03:10 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1823.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 1:13:12 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1820.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
[.....]
11/12/2008 4:54:33 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1796.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 5:04:35 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1788.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 5:14:37 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1761.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/12/2008 5:24:39 PM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1763.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/13/2008 12:00:22 AM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1763.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/13/2008 9:24:12 AM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1799.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/13/2008 9:34:14 AM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1800.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)
11/13/2008 9:44:16 AM cop-server Memory usage Ok 1794.00 Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)

Any reason you can think that this would be happening? It is happening with other tests as well, but these are just a couple examples. The program is always running and hasn't crashed or anything like that. It's interesting that in the 5:10 test, it ran automatically at 12:00AM, and in the memory usage test, it also had stopped running tests and automatically started again at 12:00AM also. I think the other entry was one that was run manually. These tests have been set up for a week or so, so there should be more entries than that.

When running the demo, do the tests not run if the demo nag screen is open? We would like to purchase the software, but we need to make sure that we won't run into issues like this, as it will be a business critical app for us.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: oh yeah, its running on windows server 2003, version 7.70 beta. Clients are running in active mode, on windows server 2003, RMA version 3.34. If you need any other info let me know
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide more information, please?
- What exact logging mode do you use ("Options" -> "Log Settings" tab)? I think, "Write a record when test status changes + midnight logging" right? With this option selected HostMonitor records information about current status of all test items at midnight (every night), then no logging happens as consecutive test probes return same status value, until the status changes, at which point a new log record is added.
- What exact "Performance Counter test mode" is selected? This information is specified for HostMonitor on "Options" -> "Miscellaneous" tab -> "Performance Counter tests" area. For RMA, "Performance Counter test mode" can be set up using "rma_cfg.exe" utility, "Test Settings" tab.

Regards,
Max
ldean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-yes, I do have "Write a record when test status changes + midnight logging" selected, however in the actual test, I have the option for "use private log" selected, and it is set to full. It seems to be logging some of the events. but maybe if I set it to full in the logging options it would be different? The other reason I believe the tests aren't running is because in the recurrences column, it shows 3, whereas the test should have run a lot more times by now.

-on the HM options, the "Performance Counter test mode" is set to Multi-threaded, however on the RMA side, the test settings are set to "one by one". Should i change that to multithreaded?

thanks for your help
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please send configuration files to support@ks-soft.net? We need HML file with tests + all *.LST and *.INI files.
Also, do you see any errors in log file located in directory where RMA is installed?

Quote:
-on the HM options, the "Performance Counter test mode" is set to Multi-threaded, however on the RMA side, the test settings are set to "one by one". Should i change that to multithreaded?

You may try to set multithreaded. If everything will work fine, keep it this way.

Regards
Alex
ldean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the requested files. i will try the multithread option and see if it makes a difference.
losisoft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We had once a similar issue, so I would like to ask you about:
How many test you have?
What is the average test / sec?
There is a setting under: options / Behavior:
Don't start more than: XX test per second. What it the value there?

[Edit] ops.. It's a bit old thread, but I don't know if that was resolved or not.
So if it was resolved, then never mind..
ldean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for us, it turned out to be just what I had suspected... when the nag screen is up for the demo, it stops monitoring, which I initally wasn't aware of.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldean wrote:
for us, it turned out to be just what I had suspected... when the nag screen is up for the demo, it stops monitoring, which I initally wasn't aware of.
Correct. Evaluation version may show registration dialog and suspend monitoring until you close that dialog window.

Regards,
Max
ldean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, eventually I figured that out, however i had mentioned it in the original post and asked if that was what was causing it, but never received confirmation on it. The tests seem to be running according to schedule now that we have the license installed. I have some other issues, but I will start a new thread for those. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: