KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve information - Process test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve information - Process test Reply with quote

Hiya, just trying to set up a test for outlook.exe process and i keep getting RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve information...

I've checked the addresses which it's to test from as well as the RMA agent, username and password are also correct.

Might be a very simple answer.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We answered to such question 100 times. Ok, once more
Please check the following settings

1) RMA should be started under admins account

2) RPC service should be started on both systems (system where RMA is running and target host)

3) Remote Registry service should be started on target system as well

4) perfProc.DLL should be enabled on target system
Microsoft provides "Extensible Counter List" utility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ff99683-b7ec-4da6-92ab-793193604ba4&displaylang=en
This utility displays list of DLLs that are used to support Performance Counters, using the utility you may disable/enable specific DLLs.

5) Check if "admin" account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key on target system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib.
To view/change permissions to the registry key you can use the registry editor utility (Regedt32.exe).

6) no firewall between 2 system blocks TCP ports above 1024

Regards
Alex
ataudte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Nope, doesn't work...:-\ Reply with quote

Hello Alex,

I followed the steps of your reply, but i got still the same problem:

Code:

Error 301
Cannot retrieve information

The machines:
HostMon
- the server with the HostMonService running
Server01
- machine in a remote network, I want to monitor
- RMA of its network, running as service with admin accout
Server02
- an other machine in the network of Server01, I also want to monitor

The problem:
Test method "Service" works successful for Server01 tested by RMA Server01, in the test properties I can select every service that is running at Server01.
The "Service" tests for Server02 tested by RMA Server01 doesn't work. If I want to select a service, i get the error message you see above.

What I have done:
Quote:
1) RMA should be started under admins account

- Yes, the HostMonitor is installed as service and runs under a local admin accout (not local system accout!!).
Quote:
2) RPC service should be started on both systems (system where RMA is running and target host)

- Yes, the service is running on both systems.
Quote:
3) Remote Registry service should be started on target system as well

- Yes, Remote Registry service is started.
Quote:
4) perfProc.DLL should be enabled on target system

- Yes, I used exctrlst.exe to check this. Every Perf*.dll is enabled for "Performance Counters".
Quote:
5) Check if "admin" account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key on target system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib.

- Yes, the the admin accout got these permission.
Quote:
6) no firewall between 2 system blocks TCP ports above 1024

- Yes, Server01 and Server02 are in the same net and there is also no software firewall

I'm stumped!
Any idea?

Thanks for the trouble!

ataudte
ataudte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: FIXED Reply with quote

PROBLEM FIXED

I used the Connection Manager to govern the Log-in data for all monitored server, but this doesn't work with machines, which are monitored by RMA.
In the Connection Manager I unchecked the "Service" checkbox and inserted the user name and password into the test properties and now it works.

ataudte
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connection Manager settings should be applied to HostMonitor and RMA as well.
Are you sure you have specified correct resource name, domain, password using Connection Manager? What version of HostMonitor, RMA do you use?

Regards
Alex
ataudte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor 7.20.0.477
RMA for Windows 3.68

I controled resource name, user name and password countless times. The coentries in Connection Manager was correct. Only when I unchecked the "Service" checkbox for the server and inserted the same Log-in data into the test properties, it worked.

Don't ask me why. I don't know where this is comming from.

ataudte
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have re-checked our code and tested HostMonitor and RMA. HostMonitor sends necessary and correct information to agent in both cases:
- you are using Connection Manager
- you are using "Connect as" test property
However there are 2 distinctions:
1) connection manager allows you to specify "keep active connection". In such case HostMonitor/RMA will not breake existent connection, if any. If systems have connected using account without necessary rights, test will fail. May be you are using this option?
2) also, when you are using Connection Manager, HostMonitor sends username in form login@domain (or login@host). Normally this should not be a problem but may be this makes problem for your server?

Regards
Alex
ataudte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning KS-Soft team,

Thanks a lot for the work you have done for me.

I think, point 2) is relevant for me. Point 1) was tested.
I controled the connection between Server01 and Server02 with the funds of the operating system. The Log-in took place via "\\host\username" and in point 2) you described the Log-in via Connection Manager with "username@host". Is the Log-in via "connect as:" an other one, than with the Connection Manager? In case yes, this could be the problem.

Regards, ataudte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: