KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HM for 64bit Server 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taomyn

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: HM for 64bit Server 2008 Reply with quote

Any word on a 64bit version of HM for Windows 2008 or at least an updated 32bit version that allows the system tray icon to appear (disabled by the new security model for Wink28 and Vista services)? It's a pain having to stop the service and then run a local copy each time I need to access HM.

TIA
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there is no way to put the icon into system tray for the interactive services in Vista/Windows Server 2008. In previous Windows versions, all services run in the same session as the first user who logs on. This session is called session 0. In Windows Vista/Server 2008, only system processes and services run in session 0. Vista isolates services in session 0 and makes session 0 noninteractive. The user logs on to session 1, and runs applications in this session. There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Use Remote Control Console (RCC) that allows you to manage HostMonitor started on local or remote system in service or application mode.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm
2. You may create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
E.g.
Code:
      net stop hostmonservice
      "c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
      net start hostmonservice

Regards,
Max
Taomyn

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft Europe wrote:
Sorry, there is no way to put the icon into system tray for the interactive services in Vista/Windows Server 2008. In previous Windows versions, all services run in the same session as the first user who logs on. This session is called session 0. In Windows Vista/Server 2008, only system processes and services run in session 0. Vista isolates services in session 0 and makes session 0 noninteractive. The user logs on to session 1, and runs applications in this session. There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Use Remote Control Console (RCC) that allows you to manage HostMonitor started on local or remote system in service or application mode.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm
2. You may create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
E.g.
Code:
      net stop hostmonservice
      "c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
      net start hostmonservice

Regards,
Max

Yes, that's what I'd heard and why everyone is having to split the GUI out of the main process and use a separate program for the system tray. It's obviously possible as the likes of McAfee still have their icon.

Thanks for the tips, I will look at each one.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'd heard and why everyone is having to split the GUI out of the main process and use a separate program for the system tray. It's obviously possible as the likes of McAfee still have their icon.

Yes it is possible. That's why we provide RCC. It shows the icon, right?
BTW RCC provides mone benefits than just an icon in system tray. It allows you to manage HostMonitor remotely, it allows several operators to work with HostMonitor at the same time.

Regards
Alex
Taomyn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

Yes it is possible. That's why we provide RCC. It shows the icon, right?
BTW RCC provides mone benefits than just an icon in system tray. It allows you to manage HostMonitor remotely, it allows several operators to work with HostMonitor at the same time.

Regards
Alex

Unfortunately, when adding it to the "Startup" folder and even when setting the shortcut to "Minimise on start", it still leaves an ugly taskbar item - maybe I should be starting it differently (currently using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\HostMonitor\rcc.exe" -uniqueprofiles -storepassword -autoconnect"). Also, the connection window is annoying and hitting the "X" to close either window kills the application rather than just minimising it again.

Needs a few tweaks before it can replace the main GUI, but it does all that you say it should.

Also, in view of the 2008 issue, will RCC be free for use for local machine connections for versions lower than Enterprise? Paying to connect to the local machine doesn't sit too well.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, in view of the 2008 issue, will RCC be free for use for local machine connections for versions lower than Enterprise?

Yes, I think we should do that. Thanks for the hint

Quote:
Unfortunately, when adding it to the "Startup" folder and even when setting the shortcut to "Minimise on start", it still leaves an ugly taskbar item - maybe I should be starting it differently (currently using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\HostMonitor\rcc.exe" -uniqueprofiles -storepassword -autoconnect").

Not sure I understand what exactly "ugly taskbar item" means... we will check that

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: