KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Count files: Count fewer than instead of more than.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordJezo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Count files: Count fewer than instead of more than. Reply with quote

Is this possible?

A log directory we have should have 24 files a day in it, if something is missing and we only have 21 or 22 files it means several hours of the day are missing and something went wrong.

Is there a way to do a fewer than count instead of only a more than count?
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use "Reverse Alert" option in this case. Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#Dialog
========================================
Reverse alert
When this option is selected, HostMonitor regards test results that are normally considered benign, as abnormal ones, and vice versa.
========================================

Regards,
Max
LordJezo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't quite work, if I do a reverse alert it will mean it is OK if there are more than xx files instead of it alerting if there are xx+y files. I am trying to get it to check to see if there is a total or less than, which I can't quite figure out. Might not even be possible with the current version.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand you. Do you need to be alerted when there are less then 24 file in a folder? In this case you should specify "Alert when folder contains more than 23 files" and set "Reverse Alert" option. In this case, if there are 24 or more files in a folder, the status becomes "Ok". Otherwise (the number of files is less then 24), status becomes "Bad" and you will be alerted as well.
Quote from the manual: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#countfiles
==============================================
Alert when folder contains more than NN files
Specify limit for the file amount. When this limit is reached, HostMonitor will change test status to "Bad". If you need to start alert actions when file amount become lower than specified, use "Reverse alert" option.
==============================================

Regards,
Max
LordJezo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft Europe wrote:
Not sure I understand you. Do you need to be alerted when there are less then 24 file in a folder? In this case you should specify "Alert when folder contains more than 23 files" and set "Reverse Alert" option. In this case, if there are 24 or more files in a folder, the status becomes "Ok". Otherwise (the number of files is less then 24), status becomes "Bad" and you will be alerted as well.

Oh, I think I see what you are talking about now.

More than 23 files means an alert would go off if there were 24, which is the proper number. If a reverse alert is selected then that would mean that 24 files is okay, but if there were only 23, which normally would be good because it is below the threshold is then an error.

I am putting that into effect now, thanks. I just had to think about it in a different way than I was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: