KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

blocking Flashget's Torrent downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cressa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: blocking Flashget's Torrent downloads Reply with quote

im so happy to have found this forum, i pray that someone can help me.

i live with a bully who abuses my internet connection, its in my name and the bill comes to me. I cant block him from access to the internet but i feel justified in blockin certain applications.

he uses Flashget to download torrents of copyrighted movies, sometimes 15 at a time, 3 or 4 links being for the same movie, so he can avail of a better download speed if more seeders come online.

this kills my 4MB broadband, i downloaded the trial of IP-Tools to see what ports it uses but i cant figure it out. i have his MAC address and the IP address of his PC but when i run a port check it doesnt highlight anything at all even when i know Flashget is accessing the network.

can someone help me, this is a serious abuse that may come to legal action if someone comes knockin on my door.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the following article will be useful: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101523.asp

If you want to restrict access, I would recommend to block ALL ports except ports that you really need, e.g. 20, 21 (FTP), 25 (SMTP), 80 (HTTP), 110 (POP#), 443 (HTTPS)

Regards
Alex
cressa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: how to block all ports? Reply with quote

how do i block all ports, except for those you mentioned?

do i create a list of rules? e.g.

block 1-19

block 22-24

block 26-79

block 81-109 etc
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: how to block all ports? Reply with quote

cressa wrote:
how do i block all ports, except for those you mentioned?
I would suggest you to block all ports on the firewall an create "allow" rules for certain ports, e.g.
1. allow port 20
2. allow port 21
N. allow port 80
etc.

Regards,
Max
cressa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a linksys router, its pretty good but i dont think it allows the creation of custom rules for the firewall. this is all my options under the firewall tab

Filter Proxy Filter Cookies Filter Java Applets Filter ActiveX

i have an Access Restrictions tab, where i can block port ranges for TCP & UDP. is this my best bet?

the computers arent networked, just accessing the router wirelessly. if i put Zone Alarm on my PC, would it block the other PC's
(that sounds like it may be a stupid question)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about every linksys router, but some of them provide port filtering option for sure.

Quote:
i have an Access Restrictions tab, where i can block port ranges for TCP & UDP. is this my best bet

Probably. Manual that comes with your router should describe process in details

Quote:
if i put Zone Alarm on my PC, would it block the other PC's

No

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> IP-Tools All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: