KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Alert Profile and Expressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r00t-shell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Alert Profile and Expressions Reply with quote

Need some understanding of processes within the software.

I only want one notification per folder - regardless of what, or how many items have failed in a folder.

From my understanding i need to have a master test with an expression, and an alert with an expression but the examples i've seen do not make sense. Can i get an quick example to perform this function?
Yoorix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, you may figure it out in a following way: in each folder you have to create one "dummy" test, for instance ping 127.0.0.1, and assign to this test an action profile with advanced mode action. You may use "%FolderCurrent_BadTests%" variable in expression, e.g. (%FolderCurrent_BadTests% > 0).

%FolderCurrent_BadTests% - Number of the test items (in the folder) those have "Bad" status
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#foldermacro

No action profiles should be specified for the other tests in the folder.

BR,
Yoorix
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this will not work. (%FolderCurrent_BadTests% > 0) means action should be started every time there is at least one bad test, so you will receive alerts again and again until all tests restore good status.

There are 2 possible solutions:

1) use additional dependant test (dependand, not master) with expression like (%FolderCurrent_BadTests%==0) or ((%FolderCurrent_BadTests%==1) and ('%SimpleStatus%'=='DOWN')) and assign alert profile with "standard" action to this test
Please read the following topic for details:
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=18147

2) another solution (no additional tests required): assign alert profile to each tests within the folder, use "advanced" mode action with expression like %FolderCurrent_BadTests%==1 for this action
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=17851

Regards
Alex
r00t-shell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that make sense.

It's either or, not a combination of the two.

THat would explain why it worked on moment, then not the next when i implemented an alert profile and also used the expression.

Let me ask you this, of the two examples given what are the differences? Pro/Cons of each.

Let me give this whirl.

Thanks,
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me ask you this, of the two examples given what are the differences? Pro/Cons of each.

Just different ways to get the same result. I do not see any obvious advantages or disadvantages of each method.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: