KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

6.82 not sending Alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehughes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: 6.82 not sending Alerts Reply with quote

Last week I upgraded from 6.80 to 6.82 and Host Monitor has stopped sending alerts. Any Ideas?

Ed
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, someone stopped alerts manualy? You may resume sending alert using menu "Monitoring" -> "Enable Alerts" or by pressing "Enable Alerts" button on the toolbar.
Please verify the monitoring is started. Do you see the "Start" button on the toolbar? If yes, you may resume monitoring using menu "Monitoring" -> "Start Monitoring" or by pressing "Start" button on the toolbar.

Regards,
Max
ehughes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they are enabled. It dosen't even seem to fire off the alert window.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly means "alert window"? Are you talking about "Show popup window / Show message" action method? What about other actions?
Or you cannot open Action Profiles dialog? Do you work with HostMonitor directly or you are using RCC? If you cannot open dialog, you should see some error message. Do you?

Regards
Alex
ehughes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of reinstalling version 6.80 at the moment. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually reinstallation does not help to solve any problem, unless you want to use default settings. If some configuration file (or hostmon.exe) gets corrupted, HostMonitor warns you on startup. If HostMonitor does not show any error on startup, files are file.

Regards
Alex
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

I am running v6.82 and seem to be having the exact same issue, none of my alert profiles are working when using the RCI since upgrading to v6.82 even though Alerts are enabled and everything appears to be correctly configured.

If I use the full client in place of the RCI then all alerts profiles work and behave as expected.

I have found that if I create a new profile for Message and Sound and then configure a test to use this new alert profile I am able to get a sound alert but the message box does not appear.

If I use previously configured alert profile for Message and Sound I get neither sound or message box.

Just to make things even more confusing, some of the email alert profiles do work correctly but then other email alert profiles do not. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Did this resolve the problem? Reply with quote

ehughes wrote:
I'm in the process of reinstalling version 6.80 at the moment. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Problem Reply with quote

Okay, have just managed to get the alerts working again but not sure for how long. Restarting the KS Hostmonitor Service on our Management Box seems to have fixed the problem.

I will keep an eye on the situation and let you know if the alerts stop working again.

Bulldog98 wrote:
I am running v6.82 and seem to be having the exact same issue, none of my alert profiles are working when using the RCI since upgrading to v6.82 even though Alerts are enabled and everything appears to be correctly configured.

If I use the full client in place of the RCI then all alerts profiles work and behave as expected.

I have found that if I create a new profile for Message and Sound and then configure a test to use this new alert profile I am able to get a sound alert but the message box does not appear.

If I use previously configured alert profile for Message and Sound I get neither sound or message box.

Just to make things even more confusing, some of the email alert profiles do work correctly but then other email alert profiles do not. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we misunderstood each other...

1) RCC does not execute any alerts. It may play sound and show popup window, however this is not actual action execution, this is "echo" of the action. Actions can be performed by HostMonitor or RMA

2) If HostMonitor cannot execute some action, it records error message into system log (log file specified on System Log page in the Options dialog). In order to investigate "e-mail" problem, please check system log file.

Regards
Alex
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand that, but the issue I am having seems to be with the RCC only. If I logon to the management server and load KSHM the alerts work as expected. It is only when using the RCC that we do not receive the alerts or they do not work as expected.

Although after restarting the KSHM Service on our management server the alert profiles are now working when using RCC, I am unsure whether this is a permanent fix or whether the issue will reappear at this time but will keep you informed.

Oh, and thanks for the quick reply.

KS-Soft wrote:
Looks like we misunderstood each other...

1) RCC does not execute any alerts. It may play sound and show popup window, however this is not actual action execution, this is "echo" of the action. Actions can be performed by HostMonitor or RMA

2) If HostMonitor cannot execute some action, it records error message into system log (log file specified on System Log page in the Options dialog). In order to investigate "e-mail" problem, please check system log file.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCC does not have any relation to actions.
Quote:
If I logon to the management server and load KSHM the alerts work as expected

What exactly means "load KSHM"? Do you mean you stop HostMonitor service and start HostMonitor in application mode? Then we should say "HostMonitor started as service does not execute actions", not "RCC does not execute actions".
So, do you see any errors in system log file? Any messages from HostMonitor in NT Event Log?
Are you sure HostMonitor is registered? May be it works in evaluation mode? You may use menu Help->License to verify that.
What is your registration name? You may send registration information to sales@ks-soft.net or support@ks-soft.net.

Why do you stop service and start application? You don't see HostMonitor's icon in system tray? Do you logon to system locally or you are using Terminal Service?
What account have you specified on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)?

Regards
Alex
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have KS HostMonitor running on one of our management servers as a service. We then connect to the service remotely from our NOC using the RCC.

When logging onto our management server we use remote desktop due to the server being located in a data centre far away from our NOC. Our copy of KSHM is fully licensed and active.

When connecting to the management server via RDP I do not see KSHM running in the system tray which is why I stopped the service and ran the application as a test to see if the alerts worked using this method.

I have got quite a few errors showing in the system log, they are as follows:

SMTP client error: Error reading ResultsMemo.Lines.Strings: System Error. Code: 1400. Invalid window handle

SMTP client error: Error reading ResultsMemo.Lines.Strings: System Error. Code: 1401. Invalid menu handle

SMTP client error: Error 10038 in function Disconnect (closesocket) Socket operation on non-socket

SMTP client error: Error reading ResultsMemo.Lines.Strings: System Error. Code: 14. Not enough storage is available to complete this operation

Those errors keep repeating over and over every few minutes.

The server it is running on is a Quad Core Xeon with 8gb of RAM running on a 1GB Network.

A total of 3392 tests are configured with a load of 27 tests a second.
Bulldog98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on the restarting of the KS HostMonitor Service, this seemed to resolve the issues of receiving no alerts when using the RCC for a short while. Within 2 hours they stopped working again.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like system is out of resources. Can you check resource usage for each process, especially for HostMonitor when error occurs again? You may use standard Windows Task Manager to check Memory, Handles, GDI and USER objects. What the total resource usage?

Do you have installed some antivirus monitors, personal firewall, content monitoring software? Non stanard winsock components?
Usually such problems caused by Symantec antivirus monitor or McAfee antivirus.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: