KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Import/export function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Import/export function Reply with quote

I'd like an import/export function for other functions. I was testing HostMonitor on my own local machine. Because the tests became more complex I wanted to move the whole config to a dedicated machine but only the tests could be exported/imported. I made a few pretty complex action menu's, finetuned the options and lost them all

Perhaps there is a workaround by copying some files or something?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very easy to move preconfigured package to another system. Please read this article (FAQ): http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1099

If you want to backup/restore settings, you need to copy all *.LST, *.INI, and *.HML files.

Detailed list of files used by HostMonitor available in the manual ("Technical info" section)

Regards
Alex
dsi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would still be useful to be able to import/export things like the actions. if I have one install with 100 actions and annother install with 100 different actions and someone decides they would like the 10 most complex actions copied from one to the other so they may be used on both. I do this with replicator/exported test files very often, but unless I have missed something there is not an easy way for much else.

If exporting the tests and reimporting them would have bad consequences perhaps a seperate "editor" application, or a way to get the entire test into the clipboard to paste as a new test on the second install would be better than nothing. Right now the best I have thought of was to open both machines through an app like VNC and cut/paste one field at a time.

Not critical or anything, it would just remove one of the slow and tedious things from my day.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to implement export/import option for action profiles. But we always find some other more important tasks to do...
H'm... let's vote. Anybody wants to assign "high" priority to this task?

Regards
Alex
dsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really prefer to automate changes to things, so I would vote in favor of import/export functionality for any of the "profiles"...

Action, report, then schedule would be my preference if we are picking just one though.
Madman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since import/export of action files isn't active since today I'd like to dust off this topic...

I can see at least one very important usage of actions import/export feature.

Let's say that there are about 200 action profiles. In 120 of them cell number is configured to recieve sms if something goes wrong. Now imagine that the cell number for some reason changes (employee leaves company or changes his provider) his number. Without import/export (to text file!) you've got 120 profiles to click through and change cell number.
With import/export - you just export, search&replace cell number, import the file back - and voila - you're done.
The same goes with email addresses...

the other idea is to have more global setting like notification profile. For example you define profile named "Mr Smith" and in this profile you can assign an email address or cell number to that profile and just select that profile in action.

Profile example:

profile name: mr. smith
comm method: email
value: mrsmith@somewhere
active: yes
comm method: sms
value: +48604xxxxxx
active: no

this way mr smith will recieve only emails. If you change mr smith's both comm methonds to "no" then he will have peacefull vacation.

---------------------
best regards to all
Madman
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's say that there are about 200 action profiles. In 120 of them cell number is configured to recieve sms if something goes wrong. Now imagine that the cell number for some reason changes (employee leaves company or changes his provider) his number. Without import/export (to text file!) you've got 120 profiles to click through and change cell number.
With import/export - you just export, search&replace cell number, import the file back - and voila - you're done

That's why we recommend to use global macro variables.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#udvmacro

However we plan to imlement import/export feature. Medium priority

Quote:
the other idea is to have more global setting like notification profile. For example you define profile named "Mr Smith" and in this profile you can assign an email address or cell number to that profile and just select that profile in action.

We thought about such feature but I don't think it will be implemented anytime soon

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: