KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Create custom dashboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerhard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Create custom dashboard Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have been struggling to get a report for our operators where they can see if and when a test gets a bad status and then inform an administrator. The problem is that we now use the web interface dashboard which creates the site on the fly, this is a perfect report to be used by the operators, however this report cannot be modified.

My struggle is this: I have been trying to create a report just like the web interface report, but when using dashboard HTML i cannot exclude folders and or tests and when i use custom HTML i cannot get the dashboard view. Can anybody help me with a custom report that is similar to the web interface dashboard report? I am less then a novice when it comes to HTML.

I still think it is a lot easier to implement the option to exclude folders/test items from the web interface reports. Maybe in the folder properties. In my search in the forums i saw a lot of similar requests, and manually i will never get a report as good as the default web interface

(then why not use this report? I do not want operators to call standby teams for performance issues. And in general they operate like this: bad is call somebody, and this goes for all tests or none. Our company does not want the operators to be intelligent people who think by themself).

regards,

Gerard
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using eg email to alert these persons?

Here you can write exectly what they should do, and they will only get the emails that you want them to get...?

Regards,
Stoltze
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Create custom dashboard Reply with quote

Gerhard wrote:
Can anybody help me with a custom report that is similar to the web interface dashboard report? I am less then a novice when it comes to HTML.
So, do you want to create a dashboard report with some type of tests and/or folders excluded? You may use Dashboard report either. To exclude some type of tests from the report, you just should open Report manager, select appropriate dashboard profile and unmark performance tests in "Include following test methods" area.
To exclude some folders from the Dashboard report, you should choose "Use folder's own report settings" option for the folder that you want to exclude from the report (option located in the Folder Properties dialog) and use one of the following methods to create report
- "Generate reports every N min" folder-level option (not "global" report generator that is available in the Options dialog)
- built-in Sheduler and "Generate reports" action with "Folder & subfolder with inherited settings" recursive mode.

Also please review the following article, concerned with excluding folders from reports: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3450

Regards,
Max
JuergenF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sugestion:
- Create a new Folder (call it OperatorView)
- Follow Max instructions to set "Use folder's own report settings".
- - Create a new HTML-Page for that Folder (OperatorView.html)
- Create a linked test for each test you would like the operators to see.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/tests.htm#links

Now the operators have a HTM report page where only those tests are shown that you have choosen.

I hope it's clear enough ?

If that does make sense depends on the number of tests the operators should see compared to the overall number of tests. It may make more sense to exclude some folders from the view as Max suggested when that is easier to do.

Regards

Juergen
Gerhard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, that did the trick. I now have a dashboard with only the tests i would like the operators to see.

I am now looking into if it is possible to built in some of the Web interface options, e.g. Acknowledge, get detailed overview when you click on a test, switch between quick log an dashboard, but for this i will probably have to find a web designer. Question will HM built in options to select wich info is created over the web interface?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question will HM built in options to select wich info is created over the web interface?

We plan to implement such option, not very soon

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: