KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Check folder/file availability on mapped network drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Check folder/file availability on mapped network drive Reply with quote

I want to check if a certain file on a mapped network drive is available on systems running WIN2K & WINXP.
All systems have a C:, D: & E: drive and a mapped drive G:
I want to test that file G:\test.txt is available for all systems

The test works fine on Win2K but I cannot select the mapped network drive (G on the WinXP systems ?

I use Hostmonitor 6.42C on my server and RMA 3.35 the clients

Can anyone help me out please ?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its bad idea to use mapped drives for monitoring. "Mapping" depends on user context.
I would recommend to use UNC test method and UNC path to shared resource, e.g. \\server1\resource2\test.txt

Quote:
The test works fine on Win2K but I cannot select the mapped network drive (G on the WinXP systems ?
I use Hostmonitor 6.42C on my server and RMA 3.35 the clients

Could you please explain what exactly means "cannot select"? You are using UNC test method or Drive Free Space test method? RMA returns some error?

Regards
Alex
DPR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "UNC (availability/free space)" method I can only check for folders and not for files ?
This test would also solve my problem if there was a possibility to check for files on an UNC path

>>Could you please explain what exactly means "cannot select"?
When I used the "Folder/File availability" method. I click the button to Select folder or file and then you seen an icon with a / so you can browser all drive letters of the system.
On Win2K I can see my mapped drive, on WinXP I can't.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use UNC path with "Folder/File Availability" test. You just should setup the "Folder/File Availability" test and type the UNC path to the certain file into the "File or Folder Name" input box (e.g. \\server1\resource2\test.txt).

DPR wrote:
With the "UNC (availability/free space)" method I can only check for folders and not for files ?
This test would also solve my problem if there was a possibility to check for files on an UNC path

UNC test method does not allow you to check file availability, only folder.

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: