KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Web Service test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devalt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Web Service test Reply with quote

I need to create a web service test that calls the service and checks for certain text in the response (Success or Fail). In the past i would create a .NET project that would make the web service call and display the response in the content, then i would call that web page and search the text for the response. In the current environment, we do not have this ability. I either need to call the web service directly from hostmonitor and check for Success or Fail, or find another "non-microsoft" way of making the call. I am using the new beta version of hostmonitor if that helps at all. Any suggestions?
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, you may use URL test method (http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#url) or HTTP test method (http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/tests.htm#http). Both methods allows you to search for a string (or several strings) in the returned page and start alert actions when string exists (or doesn't exist) on the page.

Quote from the manual:
================
Check contents
HostMonitor can search for a string (or several strings) in the returned page and start alert actions when string exists (or doesn't exist) on the page. Define string(s) and condition to alert using following options:
Mode
This option determines condition to check. Choose one of the available modes:
- should contain HostMonitor will set "Bad contents" status when page does not contain specified string
- should not contain HostMonitor will set "Bad contents" status when page contains specified string
- use expression HostMonitor will consider the string as Boolean (logical) expression, evaluate expression using data received from the server, and set "Bad contents" status when retrieved page does not satisfy the required conditions.
For example: if you define expression like "'No errors' and not ('Error' or 'Warning')", then HostMonitor will mark test as "Host is alive" when retrieved page contains string 'No error' and does not contain either 'Error' or 'Warning'
================

Regards,
Max
devalt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar to what we have done in the past.

In this case, i do not have a web page i can call from host monitor that makes the web service soap call. We do not have .NET installed as this is a java app's web service we are trying to test. I have to find another method to call the service and test for specific text in the response. Using the URL or HTTP method does not allow for this level of functionality.
Yoorix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, you may use TCP test. http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/tests.htm#tcp
TCP test allows you to send data to the host and check the reply from the server. I am not sure, bit it might help.

Regards,
Yoorix
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the problem. What means "In this case, i do not have a web page"?
Quote:
We do not have .NET installed as this is a java app's web service we are trying to test

You need to check result of some java applet that should be executed on clients side?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: