name scanner

Everything about IP-Tools
SRW

Post by SRW »

I noticed that when I did a name scan, it didn't access any outside IP, so is it a data base with in the software?

Also, I got a lot of "not resolved". Is it your objective for me to resolve them and submit them to you to update your data base?

ARIN: Whois, does the same thing, but it does it one at a time, so can see the objective of creating your own data base.
SRW

Post by SRW »

Just read the manual, sorry... if all else fails...RTFM. :smile:

Post by Guest »

Also, if I might make a suggestion. Your manual would improve if you explained the purpose of the utility, and what you can do with it, beyond just explaining how it works.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

>I noticed that when I did a name scan, it didn't access any outside IP, so is it a data base with in the software?

No, IP-Tools does not have database. It sends request to your DNS (Domain Name Service) server and displays result. Usually DNS protocol uses UDP (connectionless) protocol, probably that's why you think IP-Tools doesn't access outside host. Also, your system has cache that contains recently addresses/names. If you scan these hosts, system get information from the cache without sending request.

>Also, I got a lot of "not resolved". Is it your objective for me to resolve them and submit them to you to update your data base?

No, again. If some name is not resolved, probably it just not registered in DNS. Its normal, not every system device has hostname, and not every IP address assigned to some system.

Regards
Alex