KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HM and SQL Server 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: HM and SQL Server 2005 Reply with quote

I was trying to add test to check SQL Server 2005 database and I was getting that kind of error "Dynamic library ntwdblid.all not found" from HM 6. I know that SQL Server 2005 is using different type of library then 2000 so probably this test is not going to work anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have tested such test with MSSQL 2005 Express and it works fine. The only thing you need to do is a copy ntwdblib.dll to HostMonitor folder.
You may take it from MSSQL 2000 client.

Regards,
Max
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already MS SQL Client 2000 installed on HM machine and it works find for all SQL Server 2000 databases but it doesn’t work for 2005.
Probably I have to install MS SQL Client for 2005 also on this server.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, you are right. I have installed SQL 2005 client on server, where HostMonitor is running.

Regards,
Max
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HM and SQL Server 2005 Reply with quote

simonl wrote:
I was trying to add test to check SQL Server 2005 database and I was getting that kind of error "Dynamic library ntwdblid.all not found" from HM 6.

One moment! As you wrote above, you have installed MSSQL 2000 client on HM machine. Why do you get foregoing error? I would suggest you copy ntwdblib.dll from MSSQL 2000 client into HostMonitor home folder. It helps you to avoid installing 2005 client.

Regards,
Max
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to locate this file ntwdblib.dll on MS SQL Server 2000 client and even on MS SQL Server 2005 client from deferent machine but it wasn’t there. That's why I decided to install 2005 client.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonl wrote:
That's why I decided to install 2005 client.

This .dll is not supplied with 2005 client. You will not find it there
You should search it in SQL 2000 client installation. Or you may write request to support@ks-soft.net and we will send it to you.

Regards,
Max
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it worked only when I've specified Test by HostMonitor but when I'm trying to test by rma agent it's not working and gave this error.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonl wrote:
I got it worked only when I've specified Test by HostMonitor but when I'm trying to test by rma agent it's not working and gave this error.

So, you need to copy ntwdblib.dll into RMA folder or into one of the folders, that are specified in %PATH% environment variable on remote machine.

Regards,
Max
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've copied this dll to rma folder on remote machine with sql server 2005 and its start working. Thank you a lot.
billoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: SQL Server 2005 monitoring Reply with quote

I copied ntwdblib.dll in the directory where Host Monitor is installed (using HM 6.51 beta). I can monitor SQL Server 2000 successfully, which is installed locally on the same computer where HM is installed. But when I try to test connection to SQL Server 2005 (remote server) using mssqltest.exe utility, which your site has, I get the following error message:

Error: Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. General network error. Check your documentation
Error xx

SQL Server 2005 is running on the remote server. I verified SQL 2005 is running by going to the remote server and checking it. I can also ping this remote server from the computer where HM is installed. I do not have any SQL 2005 component installed on the HM computer except SQL Server 2000 is installed on this HM computer.

Please let me know how to test connectivity to SQL 2005 using mssqltest.exe and how do I monitor SQL 2005.

Thanks
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: SQL Server 2005 monitoring Reply with quote

billoo wrote:
Error: Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. General network error. Check your documentation
Error xx

What exact error do you see?

billoo wrote:
Please let me know how to test connectivity to SQL 2005 using mssqltest.exe and how do I monitor SQL 2005.

I suppose, it is a firewall issue. Please, ensure your firewall allows connection to MS SQL Server port on remote machine. By default is used port 1433.

Regards,
Max
billoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave you the exact error message:

Error xx

It is not a firewall issue, as there is no firewall and WinXP firewall has been turned off. I am testing this within a LAN envrionment. The only difference is that HM is running on Win XP (SP1). SQL Server 2005 is running on Win XP (SP2). I turned the firewall OFF on WinXP SP2 (SQL Server 2005) machine.

One interesting thing is that I can monitor SQL 2005 (sqlservr.exe process) using "process" test method. So, there is full connectivity between HM computer and SQL 2005 computer and HM can see SQL Server process. This is how I monitored SQL Server before in HM.

At this point, I still have no success with mssqltest.exe for testing SQL 2005. If this test succeeds, then only I can monitor SQL 2005 using "check MS SQL" test method.

Any ideas??

Reply appreciated

Thanks
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billoo wrote:
Error xx

Please ensure, that you type correct SQL Server name. Probaby, you should try specify IP-address instead of Server name. If there are several instances of SQL Server running, you shoud use syntax like ServerName\InstanceName or ServerIPAddress\InstanceName.

billoo wrote:
The only difference is that HM is running on Win XP (SP1).
We strongly recommend you to install SP2 onto machine, where HostMonitor is running or install Hostmonitor onto another machine. There were too many network problems fixed in SP2.
billoo wrote:
SQL Server 2005 is running on Win XP (SP2). I turned the firewall OFF on WinXP SP2 (SQL Server 2005) machine.
Actually, XP was designed as client OS, and there are too many security settings defined to prohibit incomming connections.
Could you install SQL Server 2005 client onto machine, where HostMonitor is running? Could you try one of standard MS SQL utilities, like sqlcmd.exe, to reach your SQL server? Does it work? Are you able to connect to this MS SQL Server instance from any other machine in your network?
Have you enabled TCP/IP protocol for the your MS SQL Server instance?

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: