KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitor file count/size on NetWare server volumes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Monitor file count/size on NetWare server volumes Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to find a way to use the file count monitor for monitoring the folders located on NetWare servers. In particular, I am managing a central GroupWise domain and would like to be alerted if certain mail queues start to build up. Current Host Monitor version 5.66 + RMA for Windows.
Looking forward to any advices.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to monitor regular files, use Count Files test method. If you want to monitor mail queues or some other system parameters, I think its better to install SNMP agent and use SNMP Get test method.

Regards
Alex
janp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alex,

Thanks for your quick reply. Apparently, the Count Files method does not seem to work for the NetWare volumes.

I have the following setup: Host Monitor running in one location, 3 NetWare servers + 1 Win2k3 Management server in a separate LAN of a different datacenter. RMA is installed on the Win2k3 server having full access to the NetWare servers via UNC or a drive letter mapping provided by the Novell Client.

A Count Files test run using the RMA on Win2k3 only allows accessing the drives local to that remote Win2k3 server. Any attempt to scan the remote NetWare drives returns an error #301 - Folder doesn't exist.

This is a bit odd as when I execute a Cout Files test for a NetWare directory directly on the machine where the Host Monitor is running, it works. But running the same test via RMA doesn't.

SNMP would surely be a better option, I will look into that as well, nevertheless, the File Count or Folder/File Size should still work.

Thanks for your help,
Jan
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMA and HostMonitor uses exactly the same code to perform this test.
I assume RMA is started as service? Under Local System account? If yes, please change it to some account with rights to access Netware servers.

Please note: one of our customers detected strange problem related to Novell network client. If Novel client is installed before Microsoft client (1st in the provider order), then requests to Windows resources (shares on other Windows based systems) lead to resource leakage.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: