running script - rights

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
agressiv

Post by agressiv »

"Now all "run external program" actions/methods use an account that was specified for the service (if HostMonitor running as Win32 service)"

FYI, this still doesn't work when launching a vbscript to do WMI calls - you still have to launch the console. I'm betting HM 4.0 will take care of this, but I just wanted to let you know.

Greg
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

>FYI, this still doesn't work when launching a vbscript to do WMI calls

Its because scripting host starts new thread. That thread does not inherit security context from HostMonitor's thread but uses security context of service/process (because ImpersonateLoggedOnUser affects current thread only).

So, to start script under specified user account HostMonitor's service must be started under that account. Of course script can be executed as external program: its Ok for actions but unuseful for tests.

Regards
Alex
agressiv

Post by agressiv »

The tray icon doesn't appear if you run the service with an account other than LocalSystem - we wouldn't be able to make any changes, so the only other alternative would be to not run it as a service, which isn't an option.

Oh well -

Greg
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

>The tray icon doesn't appear if you run the service with an account other than LocalSystem - we wouldn't be able to make any changes

To make changes you may start HostMonitor as application. I think you do not make changes too often?
Anyway we cannot change Windows behavior. We will create separate application for remote management of HostMonitor, it will help in your case as well.

Regards
Alex