KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Possible bug with Action Profiles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defiant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm using Windows 2000 Pro, SP3 and HM V3.68.

I set up 3 tests, all are TCP port 80 tests.

#1 connects to CNN.com and checks if it's available through port 80.

#2 *depends* on #1, and will only start if #1 is "dead" or "unknown". It connects to Yahoo.com and checks if it's available through port 80.

#3 *depends* on #2, and will only start if #2 is "dead" or "unknown". It connects to Amazon.com and checks if it's available through port 80.

#3 ONLY has an Alert set up.
The alert is called "E-mail Ronny and Danny".

When I go to "Profiles" and then "Action Profiles" and look on the "E-mail Ronny and Danny", it's setup as follows:

It has a "Send e-mail" action that sends a mail from ronny@xyz.com to ronny@xyz.com.

I added entries to my HOSTS file as follows:
1.1.1.1 http://www.cnn.com
2.2.2.2 http://www.yahoo.com
3.3.3.3 http://www.amazon.com

This cause the #1 test to fail, then #2 to fail, then #3 to fail, but no e-mail was sent!

I change the alert to popup the a window on the screen instead of e-mail, and it did work!

I know what you're thinking....the e-mail is not setup right...well, I created a 4th test that just pings 1.1.1.1 and I set it to e-"mail Ronny and Danny".

This test obviously failed, and the e-mail WAS sent!

Please let me know what you think.

-Defiant (Ronny)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please send your configuration files for testing (to line1@ks-soft.net)? We need .HML file with tests, hostmon.ini file and all *.LST files.

Regards
Alex
Defiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the files.
It works correctly. But it depends in what order you changing status of the tests. If http://www.amazon.com changes status from "Wait For Master" to "Unknown host" and never has "Host is alive" status, HostMonitor will not send e-mail.

Regards
Alex
Defiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you're saying, and I understand that currently this is how HM monitor works, but it's really not making any sense.

A message should be sent when a "Bad" thing occurs for the first time, which means that if I'm trying to test amazon.com for the FIRST TIME, and I get "no answer" (not "unknown host" by the way), then it should be considered as "Bad", and an alert should be issued, no?

If the 3rd test, in our example, depends on the 2nd test FAILING, then it will never be activated until the 2nd test fails, which means it will never have any thing else but "Wait for master" as it's INITIAL status....

I don't understand why I need to have tests depend on each other, if at the end you can't do anything with it.

How would you do the following test?:
Test site #1, if it fails test site #2, and if it fails test site #3, and if it fails send alert.

I also remind you that when I added the 4th test as a PING test which was dependant on the 3rd test failing, it DID work, even though it had "Wait for master"....

-Defiant

[ This Message was edited by: Defiant on 2003-03-14 15:15 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>A message should be sent when a "Bad" thing occurs for the first time, which means that if I'm trying to test amazon.com for the FIRST TIME, and I get "no answer" (not "unknown host" by the way), then it should be considered as "Bad", and an alert should be issued, no?

Correct, and HostMonitor sends alert in this situation. Possible reason why it did not happen in your case is: you have added action profile after test was created and performed.

>I also remind you that when I added the 4th test as a PING test which was dependant on the 3rd test failing, it DID work, even though it had "Wait for master"....

See, it works.

Regards
Alex
Defiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you're right and that this is what happened.

How can I make the test "think" that it was never performed then? Reset it?

Thanks

-Defiant
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 methods:
- enable "Reset Recurrences when test gets disabled" option on Behavior page in the Options dialog. Disable and enable test using popup menu.
- disable "store Recurrences in HMl file" option on Preferences page in the Options dialog and reload HML file with tests.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: