KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DHCP Test fails / Status is No Answer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yasin.cakmak@envers.de

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: DHCP Test fails / Status is No Answer Reply with quote

Hi all,

i have a problem with the DHCP test. The status is permanently "No answer". The other tests are working fine.

The Host Monitor version is: 8.72
Server OS: Windows Server 2003 Standart Ed. with SP 2 on virtual Maschine

The DHCP Server OS is : Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 Bit
DNS test is working.
IP v6 is disabled in the registry of the DHCP Server.

Test config. is as follow:
Test by: Host Monitor
Test method: dhcp test
Host: DHCP Server IP
Timeout: 5000 msec
Request IP: current local

Test depends on Ping test. (Master test) the test is OK!

I have run dhcpcheck with the parameters:
dhcpcheck -host:"ip address of server"
result ist: script res: Host is alive: 30 ms

What can i do??

Thx for your Help!

Yasin
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "-clientIP:" parameter is not specified, dhcpcheck.exe sends the DHCPINFORM packet to the server (instead of DHCPREQUEST packet).
HostMonitor always send DHCPREQUEST request. So it looks like your server does not respond to DHCPREQUEST...

May be HostMonitor system has several network cards connected to different network? Or may be IP address used by HostMonitor system is out of DHCP range?
In such case you may specify IP address for the test (instead of using "current local IP" option) so HostMonitor will request IP address from network and range supported by DHCP server.

Regards
Alex
yasin.cakmak@envers.de

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

thank you for your fast reply.

Yes there are two network cards. The network segments are (1) X.X.0.X and (2) X.X.7.X. I have deaktivatet the second network card and the test works. But we need both segments.

I tried the other solutions before i deactivatet the second network card. But the result was the same. No answer.

Best regards

Yasin
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I tried the other solutions...

Do you mean you have specified IP address for the test? IP address from range supported by DHCP server? And server does not respond? Strange...
In such case I would suggest to setup Shell Script test item using dhcpcheck.exe usility without IP address parameter so it will send DHCPINFORM packet to the server.

Regards
Alex
yasin.cakmak@envers.de

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: DHCP Test Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry for my late reply.

Yes I tried a specific IP for the test. I also tried an address from DHCP range. The result is the same. No answer.
The result of the test with dhcpcheck.exe: "NO answer:Confirmation packet was not received.
When I deactivate the network card with the IP segment x.x.7.x dhcpcheck result ist: Host is alive 46 ms.

Regards
Yasin
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we don't know why HostMonitor does not receive answer from your server. Have you checked DHCP server logs? Does it receive requests from HostMonitor?

I would suggest to use Shell Script test method and DHCCheck utility without clientIP parameter.
In such case dhcpcheck.exe sends the DHCPINFORM packet to the server (instead of DHCPREQUEST packet) and as you see it works in your case just fine.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: