KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Auditing tool find missing variables & system log

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Auditing tool find missing variables & system log Reply with quote

Hi,

A little common problem for me..

Email action uses %CommentLine2% as "To (recipients):"

If I use a variable in that field, which cannot be reolved, Auditnig tool gives me an error.
- Eg CommentLine2 = a folder variable, that looks up global variable..
But if CommentLine2 is empty I don't get an error..
Which then leads to no recipient..

So when sending email when test goes bad, I get this error in the System Log:
Code:
Error: Cannot send e-mail to . 501 5.5.4 Syntax error in address Trying to use backup SMTP server..

Two wishes:
1) Could it be possible to find these empty neccessary strings (Eg: email from, email to, sms Dest phone, Service: Restart service on and servicename) using Auditing tool?
2) Could it be possible to add the name of the failing test in the system log? That way, it's easy to find the misconfigured test. This also goes, if the email address doesn't exists or some other error occurs..
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could it be possible to find these empty neccessary strings (Eg: email from, email to, sms Dest phone, Service: Restart service on and servicename) using Auditing tool?

Empty variable is not always a problem, e.g. you may use variable as optional parameter (2nd recipient, etc). Probably we should check if entire expression is not empty string

Quote:
2) Could it be possible to add the name of the failing test in the system log? That way, it's easy to find the misconfigured test. This also goes, if the email address doesn't exists or some other error occurs..

Sure. When Auditing Tools shows you test related error it shows the test and allows you to edit test settings.

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Empty variable is not always a problem, e.g. you may use variable as optional parameter (2nd recipient, etc). Probably we should check if entire expression is not empty string
Correct. Empty not always bad. Bad nothing at all in eg these fields that I mentioned, that's not good..
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

Sure. When Auditing Tools shows you test related error it shows the test and allows you to edit test settings.
Yes. If auditing tool can find the errors that would cause these errors in the system log, then that would problably be even better, than making changes to the system log..
greyhat64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
Your right about empty variables not always being bad, but shouldn't an auditing tool also point out anything that might be suspicious?

Even though I use them copiously, in my mind an empty variable would qualify as suspicous. I'm sure there are other non-Critical audit results that might fall under this same umbrella. For instance, tests or entire folders that have been disabled for a long period of time.

Of course the other requirement of such a change would be the ability to optionally sort/filter these audit results to only show 'Critical' results, to hide certain classes of results (i.e. user defined variables), or to flag specific results or classes as 'OK'.

Just a suggestion for a tool that has already proved invaluable.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably you are right. We can add some "strong check" option...

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: