KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Time restricted test does not returns to regular work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gluk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Time restricted test does not returns to regular work Reply with quote

Hello,

I have few tests concidered none-critical and set to send alerts only during specific time frame - regular days, from 6:00AM till 9:00PM.
When the status of test becomes bad, the alerts are suppressed as requested, but when the time comes to "alert time" and test still bad - alerts never sent until next change of the test status, despite that Host Monitor does recognizes that status is currently bad and time restriction set to require Host Monitor to send alert at this time.

I have this behavor on Windows2003 Standard Server with Host monitor versions 6.10 and 6.24.

Hope, its not a feature by design and you can fix it fast.

Regards,
Gluk.
JuergenF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by design.

The decision to perform alarm action is made, when the status changes.

Similar problem here
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1061&highlight=

By the way: I'd like that feature too.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct behaviour.
We plan to implement "deferred actions" option in future versions.

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to JuergenF
That solution from mpriess is not suitable here cause he is talking about disabled tests, but I am not disabling it, I just shutting down alerting on it, the monitoring process still works in the same way like for all other tests.
And btw, I don't want to disable the test for the "sleep time" cause I wanna see whether there were problems in that period too.

to KS-Soft
In my opinion thats a very strange "feature" and it looks much more like a real bug ..., I mean that there are already a lot of simplier ways in the Host Monitor to design its current behavior if it required...
At least for me this feature in its current way is completely useless and, please, correct me if I wrong, but there are no other way in Host Monitor to make time restriction for alerting where I can get alerts back automatically after non-alerting period passed.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion thats a very strange "feature" and it looks much more like a real bug

"Time restriction" option tells hostMonitor when action cannot be executed. Where is the bug?

Quote:
I mean that there are already a lot of simplier ways in the Host Monitor to design its current behavior if it required

Sorry, I do not understand your point
1) "Time restriction" option looks complicated to you? I think its pretty simple.
2) What exactly "a lot of simplier ways" do you know? If you want to perform the test to collect statistical information and records logs but you do not want to receive alerts within specified time frame, "time restriction" is the only option. Also its very useful when you want to use different alerts depending on time of the day or day of the week.

Quote:
but there are no other way in Host Monitor to make time restriction for alerting where I can get alerts back automatically after non-alerting period passed.

Its possible but more complicated.
1) You may use "Repeat: until status changes" option of the action. If you want to receive single alert, "Acknowledge" test manually or using HM Script (you may add second action to acknowledge test automatically)

2) Or you may use "Record HM log" or "Execute external program" action to generate file with errors list. Then use auxiliary test item to check that file for updates and trigger alert (e.g. send file by e-mail).

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Time restriction" option tells hostMonitor when action cannot be executed. Where is the bug?

This means' that during rest of the time action should be executed, right?
Thats the point - in my impression and, as I understand, you just confirmed that my impression was right, "Time Restriction" should be able to trigger action start/stop according to time only. In its current state, it depends on the time and on the test status.
If the status of the test became "BAD" during "Time Restriction" interval and had not changed till that interval ended, it doesn't triggers action ON despite that its already time to act.

Quote:
You may use "Repeat: until status changes" option of the action. If you want to receive single alert, "Acknowledge" test manually or using HM Script (you may add second action to acknowledge test automatically)

Manual action or "Acknowledge" will not help in my case.
I use Host Monitor to send me mails which triggers SMS alerts through company's SMS alerting system. So I was hopping to use "Time Restriction" to alert me, even if I am away at that time, on fault of some non-critical system which can stay down during non-working hours, but have to become usable for working hours.

Quote:
Or you may use "Record HM log" or "Execute external program" action to generate file with errors list. Then use auxiliary test item to check that file for updates and trigger alert (e.g. send file by e-mail).

This can be used, but, again, in my specific case I am limited with a number of characters for each SMS. Getting one message per test allowes me to put in all required info. In this way i will get one message for all systems which will have a problem, even including those which are concidered critical and for which I had received alert already.

I feel that "Time Restriction", if it will be really only time restriction, will provide me with a best solution possible.

Regards,
Gluk.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Time Restriction" should be able to trigger action start/stop according to time only

No, it should not work in this way. You have added word "only" by yourself.
"Time restriction" does not disable other action properties, like "Start when .." and "Repeat N times". It works in conjunction with these options.
Trust me I know what is bug and what is not

Quote:
This can be used, but, again, in my specific case I am limited with a number of characters for each SMS.

Then you may use my 1st suggestion (use HM Script to acknowledge test automatically)
If you need some new option, welcome to "Wish list" section http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=6

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Time restriction" does not disable other action properties, like "Start when .." and "Repeat N times". It works in conjunction with these options.

Great, I also think it should work in conjunction with "Start when..." and "Repeat N times".
But, most ppl buy systems like Host Monitor in order to get knowledge whether some system has a problem or not in the first place.
So, the main point should be on the question "Is system in the fault now or not" and answer on this question triggers action according to "Start when..." and "Repeat N Times".
Right now we have a situation when Host Monitor system knows the system is in fault, it knows that no alert was sent in the past, it knows that now is the time to start sending alerts about faulty systems but never does that.
You can call this behaviour as you wish, but in my opinion it is a bug

Quote:
Then you may use my 1st suggestion (use HM Script to acknowledge test automatically)

If you will read my previous message - you'll see that automatic acnowledge will do nothing in my case, so for me your first suggetstion is completely useless :/

Nvm, I will use your proposal about wishlist - if this is the only way to get "Time Restriction" work as a real "Time Restriction".

Regards,
Gluk.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you will read my previous message - you'll see that automatic acnowledge will do nothing in my case, so for me your first suggetstion is completely useless :/

I read your message. You said manual acknowledgement is not good for you. I understand that. But I don't see a reason why automatic acknowledgement cannot suit your needs.

Quote:
u can call this behaviour as you wish, but in my opinion it is a bug. if this is the only way to get "Time Restriction" work as a real "Time Restriction"

I repeat one last time - ITS NOT A BUG. WE WILL NOT CHANGE THIS BEHAVIOUR. You are not the only user of HostMonitor, thousands of customers use this option for different purposes. If we change software behaviour, people will not be happy. So, we can implement new option (as I said we will) but we will not change behaviour of this option - ITS HOW PROGRAM SUPPOSE TO WORK.

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see a reason why automatic acknowledgement cannot suit your needs.

Any acknowledge will do nothing for me - either manual or automatic.
The only need I have at that time - is to get notification alert about each test in a bad state (if there any), according to each specific test settings.

Quote:
You are not the only user of HostMonitor, thousands of customers use this option for different purposes. If we change software behaviour, people will not be happy.

You know, may be you're right and my problem is that I can hardly pretend, how and for what "Time Restriction" will be used by ppl in the way it currently work?
I mean - who and why may need it to do not get back to regular behaviour during a monitoring and do not send notification alert in case test result is already bad???
From other hand I see how many ppl like me could use it in order do not wake up during a night from some SMS they don't care about until it will come to morning when that SMS will become important enough...
If you know the answer, share it with me plz.
Or may be we should ask ppl who uses Host Monitor abt that?
At least, currently we saw here only JurgenF's opinion who said:
Quote:

Regards,
Gluk.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any acknowledge will do nothing for me - either manual or automatic.
The only need I have at that time - is to get notification alert about each test in a bad state (if there any), according to each specific test settings.

If you do not want to receive alerts at night but you want to receive alert in the morning (single alert for each test item), then auto acknowlegement will work for you.

Quote:
I mean - who and why may need it to do not get back to regular behaviour during a monitoring and do not send notification alert in case test result is already bad???

For example somebody wants to send SMS to admin during office hours and automatically restart service at night time. Or you may send SMS to one person during day time and send SMS to another person at night time. Or..
Anyway, if you still thinking this is a bug, please tell me your order number. We will be glad to cancel your order and return money to your account.

Quote:
At least, currently we saw here only JurgenF's opinion who said:

Did I say that "deffered actions" option is unuseful? We will implement such option. But this does not mean we have to remove another useful option.
BTW: How many people visit forum on regular basis? 20? 50? At the same time we have over 12,000 customers. So, if you do not hear about other people needs, this doesn't mean such people (and needs) do not exist.

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you do not want to receive alerts at night but you want to receive alert in the morning (single alert for each test item), then auto acknowlegement will work for you.

If you can explain - how to configure it to get that working - i'll be glad to try it.

Quote:
Anyway, if you still thinking this is a bug, please tell me your order number. We will be glad to cancel your order and return money to your account.

I am already convinced that you did this on purpose, so it is not bug, but this understanding doesn't helps me to get - who may suffer instead of getting extra value if it would work as I asked for??? I never asked you to remove this action, I said that its behaviour in my view will be more suitable for most of ppl using it if its behaviour will follow test logic.
Quote:
For example somebody wants to send SMS to admin during office hours and automatically restart service at night time.

In your example, person using test with "Time Restriction" to monitor that service, in case service restart in the morning will not help, will be never notified about that and will never able to use any future automatic action.

Btw when u say defered - do u mean action delayed in time?
If yes - it is a great thing and it will be very useful, but more for cases like in your example with the service - there you need DEFERED action.
But I don't need to postpone action which should be taken at the time when problem appear - I need that info only for history and understanding when the problem started.
I need to know current status of esch time restricted test in the beginning of it work hours and its ability to automatically turn on its regular alert.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can explain - how to configure it to get that working - i'll be glad to try it

1) change "Repeat" option of the action from "Repeat: 1 time" to "Repeat until status changes"
2) add second action (Execute HM Script) into profile using the same "Start when", "Repeat until status changes" and "Time restriction" parameters. Add single command into script: "AckTestStatus %TestName% StopAlerts"
If you use the same test names for different tests in different folders, then you need to add another command (before "AckTestStatsu"): "SetCurrentFolder %FullPath%"

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to know current status of esch time restricted test in the beginning of it work hours and its ability to automatically turn on its regular alert.

So all previous conversation was completely useless and you need something totally different. You need alerts independently on status, right?
Then forget about "Time restriction" option, forget about "deffered actions" and please explain what exactly do you need in "Wish list" section.
Quote: "I need to know current status of esch time restricted test". Sounds like you need simple HTML or Text report.

Quote:
who may suffer instead of getting extra value if it would work as I asked for???

You are asking about some NEW functionality. NEW function should be provided by NEW option. Instead you want to change behaviour of EXISTENT option and you are wasting your and my time trying to convince me that nobody needs this EXISTENT functionality. But I know that people need this EXISTENT functionality because I work with thousand of customers, not only with you.

Regards
Alex
Gluk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So all previous conversation was completely useless and you need something totally different. You need alerts independently on status, right?

Huh... Ok, let me try to explain that better.
1. I have two "Bad" status actions incide test profile.
First of them, changes test regular time interval from 10 minutes to 1 minute if the test becomes bad.
Second - sends mail alert if status bad 3 times continiously. That mail being converted to SMS.
2. On some "non-critical" for me tests I set "Time Retsriction" on second action only - thats it, only "Send Mail" action is time restricted to non-holidays, from 6am till 9pm.

Everything works well this way and I get everything as expected if test result changes from good to bad during "non-holidays, from 6am till 9pm".

The problem I am talking about happens only if test fails during "quiet time", lets say, at 10pm and still bad when "quiet time" changes to "alert time".
Because only "Send Mail" action is time restricted, I would expect from Host Monitor following logical in my view behaviour:
1. It supposed to perform test interval change action and continue tests with the new interval.
2. No "Send Mail" action should occur at that time as it turned off by "time restriction" until 6am.
3. On 6am, "Time Restriction" supposed to trigger "Send Mail" action ON and after it detected 3 continious failures - it supposed to send mail.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happens, test running as expected, test recurrences being increased, but mail never gets sent.

This is the issue I ask you to solve and, in my view - this is definetely not request for some NEW functionality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: