KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"Out of schedule" not bad? / no manual refresh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: "Out of schedule" not bad? / no manual refresh Reply with quote

Hi,

reluctantly I wasted the time to configure some tests for absolute schedules (at xx:yy instead of each xx:yy) using the recommended procedure with hourly schedules and Tuneing ages (which is - to say it again - a pain in the ass).
Anyway, the tests (File/Folder availability using an RMA) do not allow to set an "unknown status" as "bad". The tests now show an "out of schedule" w/o being bad or triggering the bad actions. Actually this is bad.

Additionally I cannot start the test by hand w/o prior changing the schedule. IMHO it should be my decision to override any schedule manually by choosing right click | refresh selected test.

Please change both behaviors.

Thank you, Rainer
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, the tests (File/Folder availability using an RMA) do not allow to set an "unknown status" as "bad". The tests now show an "out of schedule" w/o being bad or triggering the bad actions. Actually this is bad.

Do not understand the problem. There are no relation between "unknown" status and "out of schedule" status.
"File/Folder Availability" test does not allow you to use "Treat Unknown status as Bad" option because this test method never sets Unknown status.

Regards
Alex
rs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

"File/Folder Availability" test does not allow you to use "Treat Unknown status as Bad" option because this test method never sets Unknown status.

Regards
Alex

I read "treat unknown status as bad" as "every status that is not "good"/"OK"/"criteria met 100%" is "bad", e.g. the bad actions are triggered.
This setting would make sense.

And as I said in my case the test status is not good but no bad actions happen.

And the part
rs4u wrote:
Additionally I cannot start the test by hand w/o prior changing the schedule. IMHO it should be my decision to override any schedule manually by choosing right click | refresh selected test.
is important to me as well. How about a change here?

Regards, Rainer
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read "treat unknown status as bad" as "every status that is not "good"/"OK"/"criteria met 100%" is "bad", e.g. the bad actions are triggered. This setting would make sense.

Are you saying "Out of schedule" should be cosidered as "Bad"? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:

As I remember old versions of HostMonitor worked in the way you need. Then we changed this behaviour, I am not sure why, need read history notes... Most likely by request from other customers.

BTW such requests should be posted in "Wish list" forum. Its not a bug. Its how program suppose to work.

Regards
Alex
rs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
I read "treat unknown status as bad" as "every status that is not "good"/"OK"/"criteria met 100%" is "bad", e.g. the bad actions are triggered. This setting would make sense.

Are you saying "Out of schedule" should be cosidered as "Bad"? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know what "out of schedule" really means in your software (not documented). But I see my HostMons console where this test was scheduled to run from 4:00 to 4:00 and all I see is "out ofschedule". I expected "good" or "File doesn't exist" or "too old" as test results, but not "Out of schedule".

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

As I remember old versions of HostMonitor worked in the way you need. Then we changed this behaviour, I am not sure why, need read history notes... Most likely by request from other customers.

It really took me wonder who and why wanted to restrict ones own possibilities. I mean one still can start those tests anywhen - it is just so much more work to redefine a schedule back and forth just to refresh a test...

KS-Soft wrote:
BTW such requests should be posted in "Wish list" forum. Its not a bug. Its how program suppose to work.

Regards
Alex

I am sorry. It appeared to me as a bug because it is illogical. Sometimes it is hard to differ this "It's not a bug - it's a feature" - thingy

Regards, Rainer
rs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs4u wrote:
KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

I don't know what "out of schedule" really means in your software (not documented). But I see my HostMons console where this test was scheduled to run from 4:00 to 4:00 and all I see is "out ofschedule". I expected "good" or "File doesn't exist" or "too old" as test results, but not "Out of schedule".

Okay, Alex, just had another look at the console. What might cause the confusion here is in fact a bug im matters of programs logic.
If a test is scheduled for 4:00 and runs ok at that time then it's status schould be 'OK' - not 'out of schedule'. I read this 'out of schedule' as 'something is wrong'.

So actually it shouldn't be handeled as 'bad' - you are right. But a test which behaves 100% according to it's schedule and ran 'OK' last scheduled time should IMHO have the status 'OK' (or whichever was the last test status).
The worse thing is: A test that ran bad would be displayed as 'out of schedule' as well which makes the console almost useless for such tests (one again had to rely on emails and distribution lists etc).

I am not sure this is clear enough expressed? Just ask where I need to be more precise.

Regards, Rainer
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It really took me wonder who and why wanted to restrict ones own possibilities. I mean one still can start those tests anywhen - it is just so much more work to redefine a schedule back and forth just to refresh a test...

People don't want to have "bad" test items and started alerts just because they clicked "Refresh" button.
For example you want to refresh entire folder but you forgot about test item that should be executed at 2am only. You click "Refresh" button, HostMonitor performs that test, test fails and HostMonitor restarts your server. Nice? I don't think so.

Quote:
So actually it shouldn't be handeled as 'bad' - you are right. But a test which behaves 100% according to it's schedule and ran 'OK' last scheduled time should IMHO have the status 'OK' (or whichever was the last test status).

Now you probably right. I have added your suggestion into to do list.

Regards
Alex
rs4u

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

People don't want to have "bad" test items and started alerts just because they clicked "Refresh" button.
For example you want to refresh entire folder but you forgot about test item that should be executed at 2am only. You click "Refresh" button, HostMonitor performs that test, test fails and HostMonitor restarts your server. Nice? I don't think so.

You're probably right here too. It's impossible to satisfy everyone. Just as suggestion: If only this single disabled test is selected to be refreshed - could it be executed then?
I do not mind about execution of disabled tests too much but about 'out of schedule' tasks being executed w/o redefinig the schedule.

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

Regards
Alex

Thanks!

Regards, Rainer
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're probably right here too. It's impossible to satisfy everyone. Just as suggestion: If only this single disabled test is selected to be refreshed - could it be executed then?
I do not mind about execution of disabled tests too much but about 'out of schedule' tasks being executed w/o redefinig the schedule.

Yes. It has sense.

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

I disagree here. The current status should be "Out of schedule", since the test is out of schedule. The last status does supply you with the value of the last performed test.
rs4u

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work some time with hostmon but anyhow oversaw this column until your valuable hint, Marcus. I think I simply didn't expect it to exist besides the status column itself...

Many thanks, this solves some issues I had with the interface (we are switching from email-notification only to using the console for monitoring the states).

And as this other column is available I fully agree with you about the Status. of 'Out of schedule'.

Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: