LocalSystem account and monitoring remote services

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
ballou

Post by ballou »

Hello,

I want to use hostmonitor as a service under win2k but I am running into problems with this.

I have to start the AHM service with the Localsystem account because it wants to interact with the desktop. When I do this I am no longer able to monitor services or processes on remote systems.

This seems to be a securtiy restriction of the LocalSystem account.

Is there any way around this?

r/carsten
jricha34

Post by jricha34 »

LocalSystem account only has rights on the local machine. You should use the connect as option of the tests to specify a userid and password to connect with on the other machines.
ballou

Post by ballou »

Thanks, I forgot to mention it. I am already using the "connect as" feature.
It simply doesn't work. Here's what the system log says:

17.07.2002 11:16:53 Error: Cannot connect to the Service Control Manager. Access is denied.
17.07.2002 11:16:53 Error: Cannot connect to the Service Control Manager. Access is denied.

When using AHM as an application these tests work like a charm. This only happens when AHM is used as a service as LocalSystem .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ballou on 2002-07-17 07:50 ]</font>
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Yes, of course local system account does not have enough permissions. That's why HostMonitor has "Logon as" option (located on Service page in the Options dialog). HostMonitor will impersonate the security context of the user.
For more information, please, refer to the documentation:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... tm#Service
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... tm#Service

Regards
Alex
ballou

Post by ballou »

Aaah, specifying the user in the options works great, thank you!!