KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

File/Availability Test - Hangs on File dialog menu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadek76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: File/Availability Test - Hangs on File dialog menu Reply with quote

Running HM 5.12 on Server 2003, when I try to create a File/Availability test with HM running as a service and I click on the folder icon next to "File or Folder Name", I receive an alert window. Sent a snapshot of this window to you. If I run HM not as a service and I try the same operation, it just hangs with no message. Sometimes I do get a file dialog window, but if I do and I click the drop down file selection icon it hangs at that point. The folder back button works fine.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have created folder named "Desktop"?
This problem described by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q323681/

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No folder named "Desktop" created on my desktop, only under "Documents and Settings\$Username". Also I'm running 2003 Server, not XP.

I also installed HM ver. 4.86 and tried the exact same test creation and didn't have any problems with the file dialog boxes. Version 5.00 (Beta) also gave me a few problems with File dialog boxes....
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No folder named "Desktop" created on my desktop, only under "Documents and Settings\$Username". Also I'm running 2003 Server, not XP.

I know you are running Windows 2003, but different Windows's may have the same problem.
google.com find several articles about the same problem. But the only solution I find
Quote:
I created the Desktop directory in c:\documents and settings\localservice, and gave the Everyone group modify permissions to it. That did the trick.

groups.google.ca/...

Quote:
I also installed HM ver. 4.86 and tried the exact same test creation and didn't have any problems with the file dialog boxes. Version 5.00 (Beta) also gave me a few problems with File dialog boxes....

Tha't very strange. We did not change any settings related to file selection dialogs. Actually these dialogs are displayed by Windows API...
Probably you are using different account to start version 4.86?

Looks like your system (sometimes/somehow/for some account?) uses invalid path for the current directory.
We can modify HostMonitor's code - force Windows to use some specific directory instead of current directory. May be it will help...
Could you first try solution mentioned above?

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Created folder with read/write/modify permissions for group "Everyone".
Received the same results. It hangs when I click the down arrow next to the "Look in" field. I tried it running as a service and not running as a service.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot reproduce this problem but I made some changes - force Windows to use last selected path or 'c:\' instead of current path.
Please try update www.ks-soft.net/download/hm523b.zip

Quote:
It hangs when I click the down arrow next to the "Look in" field

Definitely Windows bug, its standard Windows dialog. HostMonitor does not control this dialog at all.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem got worse. I used to get the file dialog window, then it would hang when I clicked the drop down arrow. Now I click the folder icon next to "File or Folder Name" field and it hangs running as a service or not.

I also tried this on a 2000 server with ver. 5.12 and it works fine. Maybe this is a 2003 windows bug. I downloaded SP1 for 2003 from Microsoft, but I'm hearing mixed comments about it and I'm reluctant on installing it.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does account (that you are using to run HostMonitor) have access to c:\ (root directory)?

Yeah, I think Windows 2000 SP4 - the best Windows. Very often new patches for Windows XP lead to new problems.
I am afraid it will be the same with Windows 2003

Regards
Alex[/quote]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using some network client beside standard "Client for Microsoft Networks"?

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I have big ones . So I installed SP1, rebooted the server and all the file dialog boxes are now working with version 5.12. !

I did encounter a small problem after running 5.23 (Beta), then going back to 5.12. I'm not able to read in my .hml file anymore. It's telling me to get the latest version of hostmon. ANd when I run 5.23, half of my tests are missing

What happend?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 5.22 (and 5.23) uses new format of the file. So, it stores backup with extension .~hm. If you want to use older version again, change extension back to .HML

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did encounter a small problem after running 5.23 (Beta), then going back to 5.12.

What kind of problem?

BTW: probably solution was "reboot the server"? Because many people using Windows 2003 without SP1 and do not experience problems with dialogs.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small problem was with the .hml not loading after using 5.23. You told me how to fix that problem. Everything is OK now with this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: