KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

send email issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: send email issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have setup a few tests like diskfree test and a dbconnect test. In the alert profiles->alerts I have setup "send email" for dead actions. Even though I have given a different subject for the email and different files to be attached for the 2 tests, when I edit a task and see the subject for both the tasks it is coming up with the properties I setup for the last task. I need some help with this.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are using the same alert profile for both tests. Right? It means you have 1 alert profile that you are changing all the time.

Solutions:
- create another alert profile and assign one profile for 1st test, another one - for 2nd test
- or use macro variables instead of static subject
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#macro

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will check to configure the subject dynamically. Can I also specify the files to be attached dynamically because that is also showing up as same for all the tests.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because that is also showing up as same for all the tests

You see, test does not contain an action profile. Test has LINK to action profile. This way hundreds of tests may use the same action profile. It means if you change action profile, it affects all tests that use this profile.

Quote:
Can I also specify the files to be attached dynamically

If you are using HostMonitor version 4.80 or higher, then yes, you may use macro variables to specify the name of mail attachment.
Please check this table http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#macroparams

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will check to configure the subject dynamically. Can I also specify the files to be attached dynamically because that is also showing up as same for all the tests.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, read my previous post

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks a lot Alex. It works. Similarly can I use macros for

in action profiles->Condition to start action->time restriction use schedule

Should this be the same as the schedule of the test? If so, how do I change it for every test other than separate action profiles.

Another question I have is about setting customised schedules. If I try to add a new schedule, it brings up a big box with all green checks. If I uncheck everything and check just on Monday under number 6 does it mean Mondays at 6 o'clock? The reason I am asking is I have defined a test with all days and hours with 6, 10, 14, 18, 22 and when I run the test, it is giving "Out of schedule".

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should this be the same as the schedule of the test?

It can be the same. But what the sense? If some schedule restricts test execution, test will not be performed. If test will not be performed, no action will be started. Agree?
You should use "time restriction" option for the action if you want to perform the test but don't want to start alerts.

Quote:
If I uncheck everything and check just on Monday under number 6 does it mean Mondays at 6 o'clock?

It means test can be performed between 6:00 and 6:59
Also you may define schedules with up-to-the-minute precision. To use this feature click on "Tune" button or select "Edit intervals" item from popup menu. In a popup window appearing, you will be able to check and modify list of time intervals. To change "From" or "Till" time just type new time, to change day of week press F2 and select day from drop-down list. To append a new interval to the list go to the last existing line and press Down Arrow button, to insert new line anywhere in the list press INSERT button. To remove line press CTRL+DEL.

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question regarding the schedule. When we click on Regular schedule, we see two things:

Test Every : we can specify hours, mins and secs.
Schedule : Where we can configure or use existing schedules.

Should these two be used together or exclusively. For eg., I have 2 scenarios. If I want to perform a diskfreespace test once a day and an nteventlog test every hour how should I configure the schedule.

Please help.

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Test every" specifies interval between checks.
"Schedule" allows you to provide additional restrictions, e.g. do not perform test at night time, or do no check host on Sunday.
It means you should/may use both options.

Quote:
If I want to perform a diskfreespace test once a day and an nteventlog test every hour how should I configure the schedule

Don't see any problem here.
- set "Test every" to 1 h, 0 min, 0 sec (you may use the same interval for both tests)
- use schedule without any restrictions for nteventlog test (or keep "Schedule" field empty)
- use different schedule that allows test execution only at specified time (e.g. between 01:00am and 01:10am) for diskfreespace test

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Questions about "Schedule" do not fit "send e-mail issue" topic. Its better to start different thread when you have different question.

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Alex Thanks for the response. I will try the options you have specified and let you know. I am sorry about posting the question in the same thread. For new questions I will start a new thread hereafter.

Thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: