KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IP Change monitoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Nixon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: IP Change monitoring Reply with quote

running a DSL line remote management. have to go back and forth to find out the IP on the remote side once a while. is it possible to have the IP Tools or other software that would notify me by some means (email, or other) of the new WAN IP address???

ty
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Monitoring a dynamic IP Reply with quote

Bud,

Have you considered using Dynamic DNS to track the remote IP? You'd have to run a DDNS client and there are a ton of free DDNS server service providers. I happen to prefer hn.org but there are a lot of more popular ones out there. You can then usea tool like HostMonitor to log the IP address changes and place them in a local web page. There are probably easier ways but this should get you started.

Mike
Bud Nixon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isnt there an easier way to monitor IP changes, other then having them posted on some site.......
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you give an idea of why you ar trying to monitor the IP addr a better suggestion would be forthcoming
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand IP address of some remote system changes from time to time and you need to know what address is used now. Right?
I think IP address changes when system restarts? In this case you can use HostMonitor. If you setup 2 SNMP tests
- one test to check system up time and set "bad" status when counter decreases;
- another test that will be dependant on 1st test (so HostMonitor will start 2nd test when target system was restarted) to check IP address of the specified network interface
you will need to assign alert profile with "send e-mail" action to 2nd test and HostMonitor will send e-mail with new IP address every time target test restarts.

Regards
Alex
Bud Nixon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, that approximately what I am looking for.

Only thing is that Host Monitor soft is new to me and I am not sure if its too much of a program for a single task that I need performed.

I have an office network that I work with, which uses DSL line, therefore, every month the IP changes. I cant find out new IP address , unless someone is at the office at that time.

Will try to see if I can figure out that program. Thank You!

KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, HostMonitor is more complicated..
If you work in the same LAN and both systems (yours and remote system) have installed Windows NT, 2000 or XP, you may use IP-Tools' Lookup utility. Just type name of the system (e.g. server1) and IP-Tools will display IP address.

Regads
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> IP-Tools All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: