Alerts: Comparing the results of two tests

Need new test, action, option? Post request here.
FLynch

Post by FLynch »

Hi,

I have 2 ODBC tests which query a replicated database held on two physically seperate servers. The ODBC query is a simple "SELECT COUNT" to check the same number of rows are on each database (and hence the replication is working)

Is it possible to set up an alert if the values on the tests start to differ?

Thanks
Fergus
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I see 2 solutions:

1) create 2 tests, setup one test as Master for another (to synchronize time execution), assign "advanced" action to the dependant test. use logical expression to start action, something like "('%::TestA::Status%'=='%::TestB::Status%') and ('%::TestA::Reply%'<>'%::TestB::Reply%')"

2) use some stored procedure to calculate difference between databases, and setup single ODBC test to retrieve that value

Regards
Alex
FLynch

Post by FLynch »

Thanks, I'll give option 1 a go!

Cheers
Fergus
FLynch

Post by FLynch »

Hi,

I've been sucessfully using expressions to compare the results of two tests and set off an alert if they are different.

Is it possible to use expressions to set the dependant test status to "Bad" using the same technique ?

Many Thanks
Fergus
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Yes, you may use logical expression. If result of the expression is true, test will be performed. If result is False, OtherwiseStatus will be used.
If you want to use this method for your task with 2 ODBC test, you will need to create 3rd test.

Regards
Alex