KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The install screwed my settings!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defiant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: The install screwed my settings! Reply with quote

I downloaded HM v3.71 and wanted to upgrade my system.
So....I ran the exe after downloading and I didn't even see the option to "upgrade". I just hit Enter, Enter, Enter until the install started running.

Now my mail profile and everything else that I worked on for the past half a year is gone! What a mess!

How can I recover my mail profiles?!

-Defiant
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used "Install" button instead of "Update" button, installation program overwrote all your settings. And if you did not make backup copies you will not be able to restore settings
Sorry for this.
We have "How To Install / Upgrade / Uninstall HostMonitor" section in the manual and in the help file, you should read it.
Quote:
Note: If you already have installed a version of HostMonitor, the program will overwrite all existing files (you may lose some of your settings: alert profiles, schedules, etc). To retain settings use the [Update] button.

Regards
Alex
Defiant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: oh boy.... Reply with quote

Let me tell you....this is absolutley the most stupid install I've ever seen.
I can't think of any single program, EXCEPT HostMonitor, that does this.

Why would I even need two buttons?!

In every piece of software that you'll find out there, the Install button is also an upgrade one, and when you install a new version over an old one, you expect to retain the settings.

Not even a warning!
Bad coding, that's what it is.
Shame.

-Defiant
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor version 4 has new installation program.
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bad coding, that's what it is

Not able to read. That's what it is! Don't blame the software for your stupidity.
Defiant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Your mother is stupid Reply with quote

Idiot.

A software that overwrites your settings without a warning and I'm the idiot?

Everyone make mistakes, and I can assure you that I can read and write better than you or any family member of yours.

In any normal software, some precautions are taken before such a destructive measure is taken.

Tell me, what happens when you hit delete on a file in Windows Explorer?!
You get a dialog! This dialog asks you: "Are you sure?".
Why does it do it my idiot friend, huh?
Why isn't Windows Explorer assuming that if you pressed the delete key then you probably meant to delete the file?
The reason: It's a destructive feature. You can lose the file without the ability to restore!
Fucking moron.

Upgrade to 4? on my dead body. I already lost countless hours with this broken piece of shit software.
This time, I'm going with a real solution, not a moms and pops one.

-Defiant
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please relax.
I agree software should warn you.
I understand you are angry.
But may I give you 2 advises?
1) do not swear in this forum
2) make back up copies. If you will not do this, one day you will lost everything, not only settings of the single appication. Actually I do not understand how network administrator can do not make backups??? There are many ways to lost all your information: viruses, broken hard drive, mistake in configuration. If your hard drive will fail (I hope not), who you will swear to?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why does it do it my idiot friend, huh?

For people like you?

Quote:
This time, I'm going with a real solution, not a moms and pops one.

Have fun and don't forget your backups
hmo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Your mother is stupid Reply with quote

Defiant wrote:
Idiot.
A software that overwrites your settings without a warning and I'm the idiot? Everyone make mistakes, and I can assure you that I can read and write better than you or any family member of yours.
-Defiant

You might wanna take off your sun-glasses next time You'll have to READ... You got a CLEAR warning - period!

Defiant wrote:

In any normal software, some precautions are taken before such a destructive measure is taken. Tell me, what happens when you hit delete on a file in Windows Explorer?! You get a dialog! This dialog asks you: "Are you sure?". Why does it do it my idiot friend, huh?
Why isn't Windows Explorer assuming that if you pressed the delete key then you probably meant to delete the file? The reason: It's a destructive feature. You can lose the file without the ability to restore!
Fucking moron.

Yo! I assume You are a bit more complex than compare HostMonitor with Explorer. It's bad luck to upgrade ANYTHING without a proper backup in front. So You're mad since You did'nt make a backup - or?

Defiant wrote:

Upgrade to 4? on my dead body. I already lost countless hours with this broken piece of shit software. This time, I'm going with a real solution, not a moms and pops one.

Okay... Good luck with OpenView! If You're lucky, you might read about those guys who do the programming... but dont ever think you'll be able to write a single shitty e-mail to those guys!

I really dont understand Your attack on HostMonitor- or Alex! You made a major mistake... and You have a point... tell Alex about it (in a friendly way), and he will fix it very fast! (that even goes for different approaches on how HostMonitor is licensed)

Cheers,

Hans Mosegaard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: