KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Frustrated .... crash / hang issue with HM ( with solution )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
menno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Frustrated .... crash / hang issue with HM ( with solution ) Reply with quote

Hi support,
i want to tell you a story about a crashing or hanging Hostmonitor.
We have a customer who has running HM on a windows 2012 ( now windows 2016 ) and has a lot of times a compete crashing HM.

What we did on the Windows 2012 R2 machine was upgrade to latest HM version on the Windows 2012 server and
install updates on the windows server on the Windows 2012 server
That still did NOT work .... still hanging / crashing HM.
After that complete new installation of Windows 2012 R2 and installed HM on it and copying only the *.ini and <customer>.hml file.
That did not fix the problem still hanging / crashing HM.

We completely replaced the hardware ( new VMware hypervisor ) and running OS.
We installed HM on a Windows server 2016 Datacenter , 50Gb SSD , 8Gb mem , 4x i7 3,5Ghz CPU , server with all full updates and NO virusscanner.
We still had issues with HM crashing / hanging.
We installed the HM watchdog on a complete other server and still we had issues with a hanging / crashing HM.
It looks like the HM watchdog sees that HM is working but the watchdog does not see that HM is hanging.
With hanging i mean that the HM window open (on top) is saying "not reponding" its completly frozen.
You can only kill the HM process.
We also update all RMA agents to the latest version so we now have a HM with all the latest versions installed.

2 weeks ago i visit this customer an took a look how they work and found something strange.
It looks like when RCI client is not exit properly the HM will crash.
I saw that a couple of people went to go for lunch and hibernate theres PC's.
When they came back from lunch and took there PC out of hibernation ...RCI crashed with errors like "could not find map" and other strange error codes.
So i asked the RCI users please shutdown RCI and shutdown your PC and then go to lunch.
They are doing this now for 2 weeks and its look OK for now.

My question ... is this a bug ? is RCI client causing this issue ???
Can you tell me if the watchdog also has a bug here ? In this case it sees that HM is up but HM completely hangs / is frozen.
So it does not alarm that HM is down.

I hope you have enough info to test things out.
Currently we have a stable situation at our customer but last months were very frustrating .

Menno
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have problem for couple months and did not contact us, why?

>.RCI crashed with errors like "could not find map" and other strange error codes

RCI is interface used by Web Service, Telnet service, RCC (Remote Control Console).
What exactly application displayed error? RCC?

I think RCC cannot show "could not find map" error.
Do you know what exactly error message and "strange error codes" were displayed?

RCC version?
HostMonitor version?
Registration name?

Any errors in HostMonitor system log file?
Any errors detected by Auditing Tool (menu View)?
Any errors in application event log on system where HostMonitor is running?

>Can you tell me if the watchdog also has a bug here ? In this case it sees that HM is up but HM completely hangs / is frozen

If WatchDog did not see the problem, I think HostMonitor was not "completely hang". I think it served requests from WatchDog and RCC and probably performed tests. Need to check logs..
HostMonitor GUI was not responsive? HostMonitor started as application?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: