KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Action profiles: Understanding dependant "Good" ac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikaelK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Action profiles: Understanding dependant "Good" ac Reply with quote

Hi Alex (or other knowledgable people).

I need to be clarified as how "Action depends on bad on" should be considere to Work:

Setup:
While having a test-Schedule of 24/7, I have created Action profiles that uses different time-restriction schedules for "bad" status actions.

For example, I do not want to send a "Bad" Send mail-action between 3am-5am, as this is considered a "planned reboot-window" so I have restricted the "Bad"-action with corresponding schedule. To still get alerted, if the tested unit has not got back online when the reboot-window ends, I have also selected "Deferred action". This setup works OK.
No "bad" is triggered between 3am-5am, but if unit does not come back online, I will be alerted at 5am.

In the "Good status-action" I also have a "Good" Send-mail action, for notification on OK-status in case of failures during daytime. However, I do not want to get notified when the unit have been rebooted in reboot-window, and starts responding Again.
So I have selected "Action depeds on bad one", as Hostmon has not send a "bad" due to the time-restrictions..(?!)

But... that does not seem to be how it actually works.. I still receive a "Good" email, when the unit get back online, inside the defined reboot-window.

Is this as expected?

Should I also apply a time restriction for the "good"-action to avoid getting the mail send?
What then, if I want to get the "Good"-action triggered, if the unit went "bad" before the reboot-window, but get back online inside it? Here I do wish to get the "Good"-alert...

I do not wish to restrict the tests by a test-Schedule, as we use the web interface as 24/7 status-display...
In fact, I have just re-configured all our 4900 tests, from using test-Schedules, to be using time-restrictions in "bad"-actions, for that very same reason.. :p

Hope I have described my challenge good enough...

Best Regards
Mikael K
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But... that does not seem to be how it actually works.. I still receive a "Good" email, when the unit get back online, inside the defined reboot-window.
Is this as expected?

Yes, it works as designed. May be we should change this behavior but its not easy modification

Quote:
Should I also apply a time restriction for the "good"-action to avoid getting the mail send?

Yes

Quote:
What then, if I want to get the "Good"-action triggered, if the unit went "bad" before the reboot-window, but get back online inside it? Here I do wish to get the "Good"-alert...

Then you cannot use time restriction for good action...
Its only 2 options in this case - get some "extra" good e-mail or miss some "good" e-mails. Sorry

Regards
Alex
MikaelK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex.

Thank you for the clarification.
I do have added time-restrictions to prevent the un-wanted "Good"-alerts.

Quote:
May be we should change this behavior but its not easy modification

If possible, it would indeed be a really cool improvement of that function...

Best regards,
Mikael K
wacl_itstaff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this function would be an improvement and, well, makes sense given the definition for dependence .

If you choose to make a good action dependent on a bad action, which has a schedule defined, shouldn't it know that or not even care because that dependence should be based on some type of flag (ie. Was bad action completed... if yes, do good action and then reset flag on bad action??). Why does the schedule matter?

I suppose even if it just copied this schedule over when you choose the dependent Bad action that would be good enough or, at the very least, if it warned you when you chose a dependence on a bad action with a schedule defined.... eg... Warning: The bad action you've chosen has the schedule "schedule name" defined. Please select the same schedule for this good action otherwise this dependence will not function.

As it is I now have to manually change each of my defined alerts of which I created many.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have this task in the list, should be done before version 11

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: