KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Host Monitor service not starting when server starts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meppyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Host Monitor service not starting when server starts Reply with quote

SBS Server that has no problems starting any other services, but HM seems to not start when the server reboots. I am getting the following:

Event ID: 7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the KS Advanced Host Monitor service to connect.

Event ID: 7000
The KS Advanced Host Monitor service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I have the service set to try and restart two more times if it fails, but it still does not start. Is there a late starting service I can make it dependant on so that it starts ok?

If I manually start it after logging in to the server it starts quickly without any issues. I suspect that Exchange and WSUS, etc. that are starting during boot time that might cause it to not start quickly enough. I can make it dependant on Exchange perhaps?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally HostMonitor service needs just 1-5 seconds to report status after startup..

Ok, lets try to setup additional dependancy. There is special utility for you
www.ks-soft.net/download/utils/hmservinst.zip
This is command line utility with 1 obligatory parameter: path to hostmon.exe module. Plus you may add several optional command line parameters: name of master services.
Example: hmservinst.exe "C:\Program Files\HostMon8\hostmon.exe" snmp fax 6to4

Regards
Alex
sneader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex. I've started to have this same problem. This is on a Windows 7 machine. When I manually start the service, it only takes about 5 seconds. But the Event Log tells me that when the server starts, I am getting the same error as meppyman (taking more than 30 seconds to respond)

As a side note, the Web Service is starting fine.

I have changed both services to use "Automatic - Delayed Start", but it does not seem to help.

I'm willing to try the utility that you gave meppyman, but I do not understand how to use it yet.

- Scott
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st parameter - path to HostMonitor executable;
2nd and optional 3rd, 4th.. parameters - name of "master" services that should be started before HostMonitor server.
But I am not sure it can help when "Delayed Start" options does not help...

I think default delay in Windows 7 - 120 sec.
You may try to increase this interval, add AutoStartDelay value (Type: REG_SZ) into registry HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
E.g. AutoStartDelay = 240

Regards
Alex
sneader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex.

Good idea on changing AutoStartDelay. Unfortunately, that did not solve it, but it gave me an idea.

I did some research and found that I can change the 30 second (30000 millisecond) timeout value. On Windows 7, you have to create a new registry entry:

Place Into: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Entry Name: ServicesPipeTimeout
Value Type: DWORD
Value (Decimal): 120000 (which would equal 120 seconds)

I tried making it 60 seconds, but still got the same error. Changing to 120 seconds (2 minutes) solved the problem.

- Scott
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you for information.
I assume this happens because Windows starts initial service thread using "lowest" priority and system too busy with other tasks...

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: