KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Transparent (pass-through) authentication.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Transparent (pass-through) authentication. Reply with quote

Hi.
Do you make plan to enable this feature for authentication through AD or LDAP?

Last edited by Dubolomov on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean web-interface of HM. But console connection would be usable too.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean - use AD/LDAP accounts instead of HostMonitor's user profiles? H'm.. HostMonitor's profiles allows you to setup permissions specific to HostMonitor, not sure it can be replaced by Windows AD accounts

Rehards
Alex
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Do you mean - use AD/LDAP accounts instead of HostMonitor's user profiles? H'm.. HostMonitor's profiles allows you to setup permissions specific to HostMonitor, not sure it can be replaced by Windows AD accounts

Yes, i mean this. So it's make possible don't creating new HM's users but add their from AD. Is it very hard to implement?
It would be very usefull for accessing users to web interface with their own permissions and tests list without entering one more username/password. So authenticated in AD users can have access to their own zones.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How HostMonitor may setup permissions for the user? How software may know what permissions do you want to grant to each user? How we know do you want to allow userA to add new tests or not?

Regards
Alex
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
How HostMonitor may setup permissions for the user? How software may know what permissions do you want to grant to each user? How we know do you want to allow userA to add new tests or not?

HM can take user information from AD through NTLM. And authenticated in AD users can have seted permissions. Isn't it?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we still need user profiles, you still need to setup HostMonitor related permissions. Am I right? So, what is the reason to work with AD? Just simplify a little authentication (passwords will be stored in AD only)?
IMHO: Looks like low priority task...

Regards
Alex
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be used for controll permissions to HM of existing AD groups and users. Any user can get access to their folder at once. It is just easy to distribute responsibility.
For example shift (who logged in at workplace) can restart any services, admins of remote branch can have access to any tests of their services etc. So they all can be addedd to any of AD groups that can be setup in HM.
greyhat64

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I think you miss the point in terms of making this a priority. LDAP should never be a requirement of your product, but it should be an option. I will explain why:

In an enterprise environment, centralized user and group maintenance is a critical component of the job. The moment that task is decentralized you have exponentially increased the effort involved in maintaining your environment AND decreased the level of integrity in the system. Orphan accounts, for instance, leave users with more or less access than their current role requires. And when you have multiple directories, dozens of servers, hundreds of groups, and thousands of users this becomes paramount. And if one of your goals is to delegate authority, which your product allows for, LDAP integration isn't just nice, it's crucial.

Having said that, in terms of your product, I'm sure other advantages to LDAP integration could be found, but initially simply being able to query an LDAP directory for groups to assign to specific HM permissions would suffice. I would then assign domain user accounts to the appropriate group(s) and VOILA!

At this point your product wouldn't even require a logon, it could simply pick up the current logged on user account and apply the appropriate permissions - defaulting to a guest equivalent for accounts that aren't members of LDAP groups that have been assigned specific HM permissions. Prividing the option to log onto an HM 'local' account in order to override the current logged on user account would be equally important.

Having said all this - I still love your product!
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's greyhat64. That's all i meen.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we will think about this. May be we implement such stuff in version 8...

Regards
Alex
greyhat64

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
That's what I like about you guys - flexible and responsive!
Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we consent to various ideas but we don't have enough time to implement everything and some tasks wait in "to do" list for a long time
On the other hand, if we could implement everything at once, what we would do next year?

Regards
Alex
greyhat64

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that, at least for two of us (Dubolomov and myself) that this is a priority. You mentioned:
Quote:
May be we implement such stuff in version 8
Regards,
Greyhat64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: