KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

name scanner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that when I did a name scan, it didn't access any outside IP, so is it a data base with in the software?

Also, I got a lot of "not resolved". Is it your objective for me to resolve them and submit them to you to update your data base?

ARIN: Whois, does the same thing, but it does it one at a time, so can see the objective of creating your own data base.
SRW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the manual, sorry... if all else fails...RTFM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if I might make a suggestion. Your manual would improve if you explained the purpose of the utility, and what you can do with it, beyond just explaining how it works.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I noticed that when I did a name scan, it didn't access any outside IP, so is it a data base with in the software?

No, IP-Tools does not have database. It sends request to your DNS (Domain Name Service) server and displays result. Usually DNS protocol uses UDP (connectionless) protocol, probably that's why you think IP-Tools doesn't access outside host. Also, your system has cache that contains recently addresses/names. If you scan these hosts, system get information from the cache without sending request.

>Also, I got a lot of "not resolved". Is it your objective for me to resolve them and submit them to you to update your data base?

No, again. If some name is not resolved, probably it just not registered in DNS. Its normal, not every system device has hostname, and not every IP address assigned to some system.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> IP-Tools All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: