KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Advanced Host Monitor 6.00 Beta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Advanced Host Monitor 6.00 Beta Reply with quote

Advanced Host Monitor 6.00 Beta available at http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/downpage.htm

What's new: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm

Regards
Alex
FLynch

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Great news on the "Mail Relay" test Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a big step forward - on our site we have a very laborious testing routine for this - and really rounds off AHM as an enterprise monitoring solution.

Thanks
Fergus
Kapz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - great release with many handy new features, especially the pause/resume feature will be highly appreciated among our staff (from the rel.notes: "... but if there are many servers, operators may forget to re-enable the test items when work is completed." - Oh yeah )

How about stability on this initial 6.00 Beta - is it mainly new features on existing (and thus thoroughly tested) core components or did you dig deep in the code ?

I'd really like to test it in our production environment (currently running 5.92) but cannot afford to mess around too much.

Thanks !

Kasper :O)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We changed core a little. Works fine on our test systems, not sure about your environment.

Quote:
I'd really like to test it in our production environment (currently running 5.92) but cannot afford to mess around too much.

That's common problem. Most people do not want to use Beta -> developers do not receive bug reports -> developers think program works great and upload release -> now people think program has been tested and install the software.. then problems begin.
And some people testing Beta versions but they do not send bug reports to developers, assuming developers know about all problems.

Of course we have tested software on our systems and we still testing version 6. But we cannot test all possible hardware and software configurations.
So it will be great if everybody try version 6.00 Beta. Not to replace production version immediately just to run it for a while on some system. E.g. you may copy configuration from working machine, disable alerts and use both versions simultaneously.

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I agree with your points of view. However, I don't have a problem using beta software in a production environment as long as I'm not dealing with v. 1.00 of that totally redesigned core that everybody has been talking about for the last decade

It doesn't sound like you overhauled that much so I think I'll try it.

Normally before I upgrade I simply take a copy of our HostMonitor directory which I can then bring back in production if something fails in the new version.
Can I still use that procedure or does HM6 also change things other places (e.g. in the registry) ?

Thanks !

Kasper :O)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Normally before I upgrade I simply take a copy of our HostMonitor directory which I can then bring back in production if something fails in the new version.
Can I still use that procedure or does HM6 also change things other places (e.g. in the registry)

The only difference in new installation procedure - setup 6.00 registers KSGsmXLib.ocx library. So, if you will need to remove version 6 without using uninstall, type "regsvr32 /u KSGsmXLib.ocx" command before removing the files.
On the other hand, you may copy production directory over Beta version without removing KSGsmXLib.ocx. Just like you did before.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so far we have over 1000 downloads and one bug report.
Bug: if you have used HostMonitor 5 and disabled some test items, then updated to HostMonitor 6.00, version 6.00 might not allow you to enable some of such test items.
Update available at www.hostmonitor.biz/download/hm601.zip

Regards
Alex
FLynch

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Beta software releases Reply with quote

"That's common problem. Most people do not want to use Beta -> developers do not receive bug reports -> developers think program works great and upload release -> now people think program has been tested and install the software.. then problems begin."

I have a similar experience with the internal systems that we develop for our company's users - this is a common issue for both commercial and inhouse IT software teams - it seems applications have to be in production use before the real feedback starts coming in!

Perhaps one idea would be to have a volunteer 'beta (alpha ?) testing' group that tests AHM before a new version is released to the wider world.

I think the advantage is that not only would bugs get reported earlier but also enhancement suggestions could be captured in a relatively structured manner.

I think the dis-advantage is that it might go against the spirit of simply releasing the software and letting the AHM community get their teeth into the latest version.

Probably cannot win either way. If somebody figures this out please give me a shout!

Cheers
Fergus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: